Portable Cabinet Options...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stingray5, Jul 5, 2001.

1. OK guys, I'm looking for some input on a new speaker cabinet. I've joined a new band and gigs will consist of small/medium clubs and the occasional wedding. The music is mainly 70's R&B/funk/disco/pop stuff. Bass will NOT be running thru a PA. I'll be using the Hartke 3500 head and my Stingray 5. What I'm looking for is something compact to accomodate possible small stage/floor space and of course the lugging factor. With 1-2 gigs a week I want to be able to transport, setup and breakdown with the least amount of hassle. Budget is not necessarily and issue as I would consider trading or selling my Hartke 4.5XL. However if I can go cheaper I'd rather not part with that. ;)

Right now I'm wondering which would be right: a 1X15 or a 2X10. would a 2X10 project enough?

Any and all input is appreciated! :)
  2. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I also have a Hartke 3500. I run it through a single 8-ohm Bag End 1x15 (S15-D), and I have more than enough volume for the small clubs my band plays. This little sucker is LOUD. I run both preamps around 3-4, and the master never goes above 5 -- and I have plenty of volume. Eventually I'll add a second Bag End to get the whole 4 ohm load out of the amp. Another plus is the Bag End's portability -- it's only 18"x18"X15" and weighs about 45 lbs.
  3. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I dig the Acme 2-10. Power-hungry, though.
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I would suggest picking up a 115 and keeping your 410. That way you have the option of the two different sounds and the third option of running them both. Stacking doesn't take up space.
  6. Thanks! :)

Odd & Cruise, OK so far I'm eyeing the Bag End S-15D. The size is perfect. The questions I still have on it are: Will it provide enough bottom at those medium sized clubs for the folks on the dance floor to shake their bootys? And 2nd, where the heck do I get one?

CP & RL, boy would I love the EA or the Acme, but with 350W@4 ohms, I fear my power is insufficient. (Or is it? Anyone?) The price sure is right on that Acme Low B2!

Chasarms, I definitely would prefer to keep my 4.5 XL cab for other uses, but it's just too heavy and bulky for this gig. If I'm going to be traveling to gigs twice a week, the last thing I need is to be tying THAT to the roof of my little Hyundai and lugging it up and down stairs...
  7. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I don't use a 5er (yet!!) so I can't comment on the notes below drop-D... But my S15-D gets plenty of low end... My band does some dub reggae, and I definitely get the deep bass and thump I need. This little box can move some air. :D

You can get Bag Ends from BassNW and Guitar Villa for around $399, and I've heard that Washington Music Center sells them for $365. I got mine from zzounds on closeout when they stopped carrying Bag End a few months ago.
  8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, 350, if it's a real 350 RMS, is not insufficient for the Acme, but in an ideal world, you might want a little more. Just to illustrate from my own experience: yesterday I played an outdoor gig where I started out running 600 watts into my B-2. Man, that sounded good--plenty of power, and more true low end than you'd think 10s could have. Unfortunately, my amp decided it didn't like being bridged into 4 ohms and went into protect. So I had to finish the gig using just one side of my stereo amp, which amounted to maybe 225 watts. With the volume up about halfway, it still sounded pretty good, but I could feel that it didn't have quite the same oomph as when I was using 600 W.

So in sum, I think what you have would work, but you might have to turn up a bit more than you're used to. BTW, Andy Lewis (the Acme guy) says that it's a misconception to think that his cabs are unusable if you don't have ridiculous amounts of power; he also says there seem to be a feeling that you can't give his cabs too much power, that they'll take absolutely anything. Neither is true, he says, but he does admit that the cabs are inefficient. Last I saw, he considers 300 enough and 400-500 ideal.

And of course, as you know, your tone's "booty factor" will typically be limited to an extent by the use of a small cab--*any* small cab. If you're not going through the house, you just aren't going to get a really big wide sound out on the dance floor from a small cab. Some small cabs definitely sound bigger than others, but there's no substitute for more speaker cone area.

BTW, one possibility that comes to mind, unless you find you don't like Eden, id the Eden D115XLT. A 15, a tweeter, front ports, and a pretty efficient box to boot. Happy hunting.
  9. RL,

Thanks, you've given me more to think about. Given the choice, I really would like to go with the Acme. There is a trial period so I could always send it back if I didn't have the power. I'd just be out some shipping costs. The Eden would be more than ideal, but the price is just a bit too high.

Oddentity, what I was hoping for was that I'd be able to try out the Bag End. I've never seen them in stores - I don't know who carries them! I have Sam Ash, Guitar Center and Musicland in my area. I'm hesitant to purchase something like this online sound unheard w/o a good return policy. But I'm still considering it. Yours seems to be doing well for you. And it's a good $100 less than the Acme. With my budget, that could be the deciding factor between keeping my 4X10 or not.
  10. I think that'll be my next step. I hope I can find one!

Also, Eden update: I found a couple more 1X15's that are around the $480-$500 range that I'll look into.

Also, what about Nemesis? Are these Eden's 'Working Man's Transporters' or do they stand on their own? I saw they have both 1X15 and 2X10 cabs that are portable and under $400. Does anyone have experience with these?
  11. Stingray5,

Where in NY are you? (I read your profile).

If you're near NYC, Rudy's on 48th Street carries bag end (at least according to their web site).

I'm in the market for a portable 1x15 myself, and I can't wait to give bag end a try.
  12. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    I love my EA equipment. I have (2)VL-110's and I love them. I also have the EA iAmp. It all works great. I never have to turn up past 4. What is great about EA is the dispersement you get from their cabs. It is very wide...wider than most cabs out there.

I think the best cab out there is the EA VL-310. The cab design is a verticaly aligned speaker placement design. This cab has 2 regular 10's and one coaxial 10 in between the other 10's. The sound that comes out of this cab is amaizing. I have never heard such clarity out of a cab like this. It blew me away. I believe it beats any 410 or other speaker combonation...except for multible VL-310 cabs.

Check it out if you get a chance.

One more thing, 350 watts will be suitible for this cab. Larry Ulman from EA said that 350 will work great with this cab.
  13. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    My experience with the EA 1 10 is that it doesn't throw enough sound into the room. Sounds absolutely unbelievable on stage but goes about 10 feet forward and it's gone. As a single cabinet. I definitely would not recommend it unless you're playing some very small venue, low volume job that needs great tone. Now two of them, maybe it works.

The 310 and for that matter the 210 and the 208's that I own 2 of are much stronger projectors with the 210 moving a ton of air. I played a 210 8 ohm cabinet with a GK rb1000 which I think is also 350 watts at 8 ohms and 500 at 4 and I felt it could easily stand alone for moderate to moderate+ stage volume and medium to medium large venues.

If you're a metal head, these are not the cabinets to use in my book. If you're into tone and more tone and treating your listeners and the band to clear as day, uncolored, hear every note sounding exactly the same, I've not yet heard better. I've owned the smaller bag end 1 15 and 210's many moons ago and they do sound nice and are portable as a prior post stated, but they are not EA's in my book, but they don't cost like EA's either. The new EA 210 with the coax speaker might be a good one to look into. A bit smaller, a bit less expensive, a bit lighter, a slight less low end but still 42 hz? You need an overhead crane to lift the 310 and frankly I found the 210 a challenge after finishing a gig at 2 AM!! The 208's are a great compromise and if you use two of them have plenty of push for most gigs. I'm thinking about adding a 1 12 aguilar cab to project a little more bottom on my outdoor gigs and the very largest of non-boomy venues. I saw them advertised for around $389. Two of them might be a good alternative for you too instead of one 15 or a 210 cab.

Good luck. This is when playing is the most fun to me. When you're shoppin'.