Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

portable cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tragicmagic, Aug 14, 2003.

1. I'm going to be getting a cabinet for the mesa walkabout, and I need something light and portable, and a SINGLE cab solution.

cabs i'm looking into:
    Ampeg pb212h 2x12
    Aguilar GS112

I'm leaning towards the ampeg because it's 4 ohms and is a 2x12, for the same weight of a cab with just one speaker. My concern with it is how loud it can be (because of efficiency) in case there's no PA support. I have not heard either cab as none of the local stores have em in stock.

The type of music I play is melodic alternative rock, and I gig in NY and car transport is not always an option (might have to take subway).

Which do you think would be a better single cabinet setup with the Walkabout? Aguilar is more efficient, but would run at 8 ohms. The ampeg would run at 4 ohms (getting more power form the amp), but efficiency seems a little low so maybe it won't be as loud?

Ampeg pb212h, 4 ohms:
    Frequency response: 40 Hz to 20 kHz
    Sensitivity: 93 db

Aguilar gs112, 8 ohms:
    Frequency response: 42 Hz to 16 kHz
    Sensitivity: 102 dB @ 1W 1M

Please advise...

Thanks!
    tragicmagic

2. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Epifani ultralights are the ultimate, if you've got the bank. The 3x10 is perfect for you (I'm jonesing for one right now) and weighs just about 50lbs I think. 5.6 ohms. An UL 2x10 would work as well.

Might want to look into Flite -- flitesound.com. Very light, more mellow jazzy type tone I've heard.

There's alwasys an Acme B2 at 4ohms, it weighs 50lbs but is not very efficient.

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you really want to use only one cab, then my first recommendation would be an Accugroove Mini Whappo. Sonically, I slightly preferred it to the Epifani T-112/T-110UL combo that I picked up to use with my Walkabout, but the increased flexibility/portability of having two cabs won me over. If I knew that I would only be using one cab, I would have gone for the Mini Whappo. The tone coming out of that diminutive cab is simply stunning.

Now, if 65 lbs is too heavy for you (it really was pretty easy to lug around the store), then I would consider either the Epifani T-210UL (get the 4 ohm) or the T-310UL. These are incredible "tone to weight" cabs. I would make sure that you get a cab in the 4 to 5.3 ohm range, though. The only time I have every felt my Walkabout get hot was when I was trying to drive a single 8 ohm cab quite hard to keep up with the drums and guitars at a rehearsal. Once I noticed that, I plugged in another cab, lowered my gain, and that Walkabout cooled right down (which is kinda the opposite of what you would expect).

Oh, but a Walkabout with a Mini Whappo would be a very, very nice mini rig! (Help, GAS returning!!!! Must..... fight......).

Tom.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey tragic,

on behalf of fellow NYC TB'ers, i just like to say we all feel for you. :D

but, that's a tough choice, cause the cabs you chose are great cabs.

i never liked the ampeg portabass series, but in recent cabs, it seems like they've done some revisions, and now its sounds smoother than the harsh tweeter i experienced in earlier samples.

while the ampeg is good, the aguilar stuff literally kicks it to the curb. comparing the Portabass 1x12 and Aguilar's 1x12, the aguilar is soooo much larger sounding, punchier, and tonally more complex. the porta 1x12 while nice, just doesnt sound as deep and a bit 2D in comparison. also, from alot of TB'ers, it sounds like alot of guys love how Mesa heads go with Aguilar cabs.

btw, a single 1x12 doesnt sound like it'd be enough for you. cause nothing beats the slammin' punch of a pair of GS112's.

i say go for the Ampeg 2x12. its light and portable and sounds fine. but if you want the best 1x12 pair for rock, the Aguilar's kick.

also, if you're used to the punch and cut of 10" speakers like i was, you might feel buried with 12" speakers. dont be afraid to use some drastic EQ'ing to get that cut back.

why dont you take your Mesa head down to Manny's Music or Bass Boutique and see how loud a single Aguilar 1x12 can go for you. better yet, buy one from Manny's, take it to rehearsal, and see how it fares. if you're not happy just bring it back in 15 days, and get your money back. same with the Porta 2x12 at Sam Ash.

or you could always spend the BIG bucks, and head down to Nick Epifani's shop in Bk for an ultralite.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Aguilar GS-twotwelve!!!

GS 212 Specifications
    Power handling: 600 watts
    Impedance: 4 or 8 ohms
    Phenolic tweeter with integral phase plug
    Custom crossover with variable tweeter control
    One Neutrik Speakon and two 1/4" inputs
    Frequency response: 41 Hz to 16 kHz
    Sensitivity: 103 dB @ 1W 1M
    SENSITIVITY IS AS OR MORE IMPORTANT THAN OHMS!!!this one is ALOT MORE efficient than the ampeg!
    Casters included
    Recessed deep-dish handles
    Interlocking corners
    Dimensions: 24"H x 22.50"W x 16.625"D
    7-ply, void free Philippine mahogany
    Weight: 70 lbs.
    Price: $899 retail, probably $675 dealer price
    Three year limited warranty

7. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    + $19.95 for a 2-wheel dolly from Lowes :D

If you go the heavey 2x12 route, check out the Epifani 2x12, which also weighs around 75lbs. Verry nice cab!

8. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    aguilar rules

9. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    hmmmm........gas attack! According to the specs listed a couple of letters up, the Aguilar 2x12 comes with casters. So you could save the $19.95 for new strings!

10. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
  11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  12. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

I think the ampeg 2x12 is what I'll end up going with. It's the most portable option - I'm hoping the 4 ohm rating and increased speaker area will make up for the low efficiency. I hope it's at least louder than the 8 ohm agui gs112

I actually also considered the scout cabinets from mesa, but the 1x12 they had at GC didn't impress me at all - not enough volume, and I didn't really want to turn the walkabout into a 55 lb. combo (6 screws to bolt it in place)

Thought about the Genz benz neo-x series 2x12, but it's too big and heavy to haul without a car.

Wish I could afford an epifani - just can't justify spending that much right now, especially since i'm not running a super high power amp to take full advantage of it.

- tragicmagic

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  14. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    The Aguilar 2x12 can be order in a 4 ohm version. I bought mine (4ohm) from Bass Central. All together it was about $640 delivered to my door step. The Aguilar also comes pre-equiped with casters, very cool.

I would stay clear of Ampeg's 2x12. I have not heard anything, good or bad, about Ampeg's 2x12. Although, I have heard plenty of good things about Aguilar's 12 cabs. Just my $.02.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I still stand by the recommendation of the Mini Whappo, but I recently picked up an even smaller, 4 ohm cab that is very lightweight, and covers the whole frequency spectrum quite well. The EA Wizzy WZ-112 (unpowered). This cab sounds great with my Walkabout, and being a 4 ohm cab, it allows for a full 300w out of the Walkbout. The Mini Whappo still has more low end, and more top end sparkle, but the Wizzy is no slouch in either regard. In fact, it is utterly amazing how much high end detail the Wizzy has, considering that there is no tweeter.

I have listened to a couple of the PortaBass cabs (and I am fairly certain that I heard the 2x12), and to my ears at least, there is no comparison. The Wizzy is the clear winner (after the Mini Whappo, of course). And the best thing is, the Wizzy is amazingly affordable. I picked mine up used for $250 (in dead-on mint condition). I am sure that Bob Gollihur or Gard could hook you up with one pretty cheap.

Later, Tom.

16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what heavy duty said.......
    if i was faced with that problem (and i have been), i would bring a bagend 1x15 with or without horn
    don't let the 200 watt rating fool ya, it's very conservative and it can handle 800 watts peak
    i push mine with 450 watts and it sings like a canary

17. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Tragic, have you purchased anything yet? I tried the Ampeg PB-212H with a 3-piece band in a guy's house and it wasn't loud enough with 300 watts pushing it. The lower impedance doesn't even start to make up for the lower efficiency. Tone was thin too. It's a great concept, but it doesn't seem to work in reality.

Alan

18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I agree with tallboybass about the Portabass. It's real light, but it sounded thin to me. I played a 1x12 and a 2x10 and I have to say they were some of the thinnest sounding 2x10s and 1x12's I have ever heard. When I played an 4 ohm EBS afterwards, the sound was night and day. The Portabass 2x10 didn't have the fat punch of other 2x10s in a similar price range. The Portabasses are mid price, but you're paying for the weight, not the sound. It is definitely the lightest 2x10 I have ever played, and the pull out handle and casters make it very movable. It didn't sound real bad after coaxing it with EQ, but it didn't have that magic either.
    As far as the Portabass 1x12 combo, my SWR Workingman's 12 had more bass and volume than the Portabass 1x12 combo and it was only 100 watts @ 8 Ohms. The Portabass 1x12 cannot touch the Aguilars in terms of great room filling sound.
    Right now, I have a pair of Aguilar cabs. The Aggies have an awesome sound, and they are light. One works fine for me for small gigs, and some bigger gigs if I use PA support. They can handle power, but they are efficient. I use one with a SWR Studio 220 head (only 110 W) for small gigs, and I seem to have enough volume and great tone. The sound of two Aggies with adequate power is heavenly. If you want more info about this you can look atmy thread or you can just do a search for GS112, and you'll get plenty of raves about em.

I also agree with Heavy Duty for Bag End. The S15-D is an incredible cab. Doesn't have the deepest bass in the land, but has plenty of sweet sounding bass, as well as volume. This single cab can really fill a room. It's also incredibly small and lightweight for a 15". It's only a couple of pounds heavier than my Aggies. My thread also has a review of the Bag End S-15D.

Both the Bag End and Agular GS112 can be found for around $400 new, around the same range as the Portabass stuff. You'll get a few more pounds of weight, but it's worth it for the tone.

19. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Agreed.

20. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Bergantino HT112's