1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Portable double bass stand

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by g-dude, Feb 23, 2021 at 11:28 AM.

1. So I have the Hercules folding double bass stand for home use, and it seems to work quite well.

Unfortunately, it’s not what I would consider to be particularly portable.

What’s the current thinking in terms of stands that are not only portable, but stable and idiot proof?

2. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Check out the McNutt bass cradle.

3. So looking at the picture from Golihur, it looks like the body of the bass is coming into contact with the ground.

mcnutt-mcnutt-bass-cradle-lay-down-style-stand__28373.1614095291.jpg

I’m having a hard time picturing the stability of the design itself based upon the use of two points of contact on the bass itself, versus what appears to be three points from other designs. I mean, intellectually I know that it doesn’t just drop the bass off as soon as you set it down. Maybe it’s just the photos aren’t really communicating the functionality properly.

longfinger likes this.
  4. Do you perform sitting down or standing up? Are you looking to combine it with a stool?

For clarification, do you already have the Hercules Bass Stand/Stool or the Hercules DS590B?

I have the Ingles and the K&M. At home, I prefer the K&M, but when I took one out, I took the Ingles.

5. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Any vehicle that can handle an upright ought to be able to carry an Ingles. They fold up reasonably small, and are sturdy

6. Tom Lane

It's very stable because the stand itself is a tripod; already stable, and then the endpin makes it a rectangle. I shot a quick video of me shaking my bass in its stand. I'm shaking it pretty hard. Someone would have to fall over the bass to get it out of the cradle. Small, light, foldable, sturdy and very reasonably priced.

longfinger likes this.
  7. There’s a reason stands are called “the luthier’s friend.” They bring in so much work...

8. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    ^^THIS^^

That said, I've got an Ingles at home and for travel a K&M folding stand. But I'm extremely careful about using either. The Ingles is in a remote secluded corner of my home where no one can bump into it. Although I prefer the K&M when traveling for its size and portability, if there's any wind or any foot traffic at all, I don't use the K&M, laying the DB on its side instead.

As KFS has said, music instrument stands in general have a horrible reputation for causing damaged instruments. Gravity overpowers them all.

Someone might ask why I'm concerned about falls with my Alcoa DB... They are extremely fragile in the neck areas -- a bent neck will most likely be fatal.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 4:48 PM
  9. I have the DS590B. I play standing up...at least until I decide otherwise.

Well, since my vehicle is larger than a Mini Cooper, that would work.

Thanks for that video. Is your endpin angled at all? Looked like it, but that might be just a trick with the perspective.

I basically intend for the stand to be used only if there isn’t nice soft carpet to lay the bass down upon with enough room for people to stay away from it.

10. 16fuss

16fuss Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2005
    I really like the K&M 141. image.jpg

11. Tom Lane

Yes, I'm using a bent or angled endpin. I haven't found it to affect the stability of the stand. I've used both straight and bent endpins with the stand and I didn't find it changed anything significantly.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 10:56 PM
    Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  12. Do you have a ball on the end of your endpin? If so, does it fit nicely into the foot? Is it more stable to put the endpin outside of the foot?

13. For a ball end, you might be happier with the old discontinued (chrome) K&M stand. That one does not have the triangle that might work well with naked endpins, but a kind of small bowl where the endpin goes in. I can measure the diameter tomorrow, if you are interested.
    My 10 cm rubber plate won’t fit in, but a ball end should. At least a cheap endpin rubber does. Can check and measure that tomorrow too.

14. If you really want to spend money on something, I would spend it on these:
    Bass Edge Protector Set - Bumpers (Leather or Rubber)
    Laying the bass on its side or if you can find a corner to lean it into is are far safer options.

Chris Fitzgerald, BobKay and dhergert like this.
  15. 16fuss

16fuss Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2005
    @g-dude very easy, but stable.

Attached Files:

g-dude likes this.
  16. Wolf Super Endpin: ball diameter is 34 mm.
    Old (chrome) K&M bass stand:
    Bottom of the bowl: 40 mm
    Top opening (inside) of the bowl: 63 mm

I once ordered the Hercules, old K&M (chrome, bowl) and new K&M (black, triangle) from Thomann, checked them all and the bass stood the most safe in the Hercules. Even when pushing at the upper or lower ribs. So I kept the Hercules and later bought a cheap used old K&M in case I won’t have enough room on stage for the Hercules and playing the bass beneath the stand.

I thought the 74 mm rubber disc might work well in the newer K&M, but I couldn’t see the triangle and missed it too often (much more often than finding the right place) and the bass was standing much more safe in the Hercules if someone would bump against the bass than in either K&M.

I must say that my bass is big and at that time standing only and holding it almost completely vertically lead to a short endpin, which lead to the problem not seeing where the endpin goes.
    YMMV.

g-dude likes this.
  17. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I use the bass bar (also from Golihur) and find it to be quite useful. I just have to take a moment and think about where to place it so no one will bump it (same problem no matter where you place your bass-just by virtue of its size). It’s pretty stable and folds up into a very small size. I can post photos if anyone is interested

g-dude likes this.
  18. I contemplated something like that as well, and almost had that included when I initially ordered my bass. Didn’t love the idea of sticking something on it, but I think when I’m ready to upgrade to a “forever” bass, I’ll go with those from the start.

The frustrating thing is that people don’t look where they walk, so it’s always this game of trying to figure out all the different ways in which someone could behave in a manner which demonstrates little to no awareness of their surrounding.

I’d definitely like to see a photo of it!

It’s sort of frustrating that the places selling these don’t have good photos showing the stands from various angles, and better descriptions as to the pros and cons. Heck, the video above involving shaking the bass seems like something that any retailer could put together if they really wanted to help people make an informed decision (plus, I’m a firm believer in going with the retailer that is the most helpful - they are providing a bundled service in the purchase process).

19. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    @g-dude here's a few pictures, showing how the bass sits on it and also what it looks like folded up. Its pretty stable, but obviously if someone walked by and kicked it, it would not be good. But that's the case no matter what system you use. I have had my bass bumped while on this stand and it stayed put.

In my case, since I'm pretty tall and my end pin is long (about 10 inches) the bottom of the bass does not rest on the ground. The height of the bass bar is adjustable which helps.

Attached Files:

20. The bottom line is all stands are more unstable than both a corner and laying the bass on its side. Laying the bass on its side isn't a great option, either, but it is the way it goes. You have to have watch it and keep people away from it. The issue isn't if, it is when, sadly. If some dope bumps the bass while on its side, you are most likely to get a bit of a spin and not tip. If it tips, it doesn't have far to go. A stand of any kind just sets up the fall to be higher. It is good impulse, but not the problem solver you think it will be. It is a better visual and it could help with stage space if you double, but it won't add any safety.

Keeping the bass in a backstage or off stage location between sets can be a good option in some places. It is something to keep vigilant about, but don't worry too much. If you are careful, you can get through decades of playing double bass with minimal damage.
    Also, for the same reason I advise against being dependent on sitting, having one more thing you feel you "need" to play a gig is going to be fatiguing as the years go on. The bass is already a lot to get around.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021