Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

portable DVD players?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by robb., Sep 9, 2004.

1. i want to get one. who has one? what do you like and dislike about it? how did you decide which one to buy?

my short list:
    toshiba SD-P2600
    sony DVP-FX701
    samsung L300
    panasonic ??? too many models...

any recommendations or warnings? thanks for your help.

robb.

2. An honest question: What do you need a portable DVD player for? It just seems kind of pointless to me.

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    We've got a couple and have found that they are a bit sketchy. We've got a Mintek (not exactly the best name brand in the world) that has been fantastic. Screen is decent, not the best and not very crisp, but most inexpensive portables are like that. Did everything we've ever asked it to do. Plays DVD-/+R/RW, S/VCD, JPGs etc and has generally been flawless, Haven't had it for long but our experience with their standard DVD players is they don't last long before dying. We've also got a Polaroid that our Video Editor researched and bought. If I had a say in it we would have sent it back after 1 day. The screen looks worse than the Mintek which IMO is unacceptable. He often uses it plugged into a standard TV so that's not an issue for him. It will play commercial DVDs just fine, but DVD's we create either on our Panasonic DVD recorder or through our DVD authoring apps have HUGE playback issues on it. It seems that the video can't be decomressed quickly enough during heavy movement (like panning across a scene) so it will pause and jump for a few fractions of a second during the movement. Then for some reason once it stops and the scene is less active it will continue playing BUT THE SOUND WILL BE OUT OF SYNC!!!! That IMO is evidence of something that is really not right. I'd suggest if you want to get one, decide what you're going to use it for and be sure to test out any that you are interested in. If you're going to use the screen be sure to judge how it looks. If you want to play DVD-+R/RW be sure it will play them (the cheaper ones, <$400, are generally vague in their specs while the more expensive ones will generally be able to.) But look closely for the sync issue we have with the Polaroid. be sure to let it play for 15 minutes or more.

4. need is a very relative term.

in my case, i live 14 hours from my ancestral home, so whenever my wife and i go home, we have a 14 hour drive. having a DVD player makes the time go by much easier for her. plus she likes to take baths and lay out in the sun, and sometimes she doesn't feel like reading.

i was ready to install a DVD player into my car last fall but decided we didn't have the spare cash for such an expense. six months later my car got totalled, so i'm glad i didn't go that route.

and compared to a laptop that would actually look decent, a portable DVD player is much cheaper option.

also, in the last year i've managed to sell some gear, get some cash as gifts, and chip in some of our own cash to get a new bass and amp rig. after my wife joined a band with me, she told me, "now that i see how you use it and why you need it, i fully support you spending the money to get the gear you want." i think she deserves something special, even if it is kind of "pointless."

robb.

5. ...every dvd player is portable that I have ever seen :eyebrow: Are you not unhooking it from the TV and wall, that might be why it wont budge much...

:bag:

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sam's Club had portable DVD players a couple of weeks ago. Separate 7" display with inputs for two sets of headphones (with volume controls for each), a head unit with multiple inputs and outputs about the size of a car audio head unit, patch cables and connectors, carrying bag that works in several configurations, remote control that works when pointed at head unit or screen.

$167. I bought three;)

So far they've worked flawlessly with +R and -R recordings. Nice picture, quality seems very good. Extremely flexible. The sign said it was a one time buy.

They do come in very handy on long trips. We did about 750 miles last Sunday taking BJ back to school and the time went by quickly. We ran the line out into a cassette adapter through the sound system in a rented Grand Caravan. Sweet.

7. I've got a Sony portable DVD player. Not the same one you're looking at, it's a slightly earlier model. I've never had any problems with it, image quality is very good compared to most other brands/models in it's price range. The only issue with it, and it seems to be an issue with most, is that the batteries will normally only get you through 1 maybe 2 full-length movies. Hence why I bought three extra batteries for mine. When one runs out, I just pop in a new one.

8. just to update on this, i ended up buying a sony DVP-FX701 for just over $400 shipped. we've had it for a month, and it's incredible how often we use it.

battery life has been much better than expected -- i can squeeze close to two movies out of it if i'm using headphones, which draw less power than the onboard speakers. the screen is very bright and colorful.

not only have we already used it in the car, my wife flew to chicago and took it with her on the plane. we watch movies in bed together. we've even used it in the kitchen while cooking. she's watched movies in the tub. it's been really fun to have and we've used it a lot more than i ever expected.

robb.