Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Portable minidisc recorder for quick +easy live recording?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, May 12, 2002.

1. Can anyone suggest a portable medium for recording live shows and jams? I have seen other bands use their Sony minidisc players to great effect with a stereo mic. Any suggestions about which model i should consider and even a decent sounding stereo mic to go along?
    Thanks!

2. Bells+whistles I do not need...decent quality and PC interface (upload, not download) I DO need. Thanks for your links, I will check those out! Canadian too...You like this Sharp better than the MZ-700 series that Sony puts out? This Sharp doesn't have a record level control it says? These Minidisc players all seem geared towards recording from CD where as my emphasis would obviously be from either line or mic input. you like the Sharp better than the net-MD Sony models? (I haven't checked out all your links yet, i will this eve.) Which did/ will you be going for? Something with some sort of proper line out would be most useful, no?
    Thanks pal!

3. geez...my head is spinning. so many players to choose from. Do ANY of these players offer me a way to upload my music digitally or are they all set up to only do that via the headphone out jack? I can find surprisingly little info on that Sharp sight.

4. could you buy a good mic and liek put it in the room a band is jamming a recored some thing thats good with a MD-MT15

5. Ok, from what i can tell the main differences are that with a Sharp you can adjust your levels on the fly and the mic preamp is better. I should be using a battery pack for more dynamic range so does this even matter to me? The Sony has an automatic level control but you can't adjust your levels in realtime if you need to; You have to stop the recording and reset them. they also look cooler(!)
    For live use, the Sharp seems like it? No portable MD recorder has anything other than a line out (headphone jack) so that's not a concern.
    SMASH, tell me I've just answered my own question.

6. i plan on getting a MD-MT15 soon so i can recored the jams i have at my house all the times and when i go to shows to recored,what else would i need besides the md-mt15. i know i allso need a mic what typ and how much do they go for. i really just need to know what mic to use to recored my bands and my freinds jamming.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I just bought a Sharp MT-877, $230. This may seem like a lot, but is in line with portable stereo cassette recorders and you can probably got other units even cheaper like Smash did.

Some of the (cheaper) Sonys have no mike input :eek: and Sharps as mentioned DO let you control record level while recording, a BIG deal.

The 877 has the "MD-LP" feature so it can record up to 320 minutes (5-1/3 hours!!!) on ONE disk (80 minute disk at LP4 mode) and the rechargeable battery (included) will run the unit that long, plus there is an outboard AA pack (included) which extends run time even further.

When recording off a mike, the 877 can automatically place track markers every 3, 5 or 10 minutes to help you locate sections at playback time.

I have yet to use it to record live (will be doing some this weekend) but have made some recordings off my stereo to try the different modes and the thing sounds incredible. I was totally unprepared for the tiny size...smaller than a CD jewel case :eek:

Try this dealer for recorders, mikes and blank disks:

http://www.minidisco.com/index.html

They also have links to other MiniDisk resources.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Mad Subwoofer,

No portable MD units made today have digital outputs allowing music to be uploaded to a computer. All have digital inputs for downloads, though. Surprise, this is because of two reasons:

1. perceived market for MD is similar to that for cassettes or MP3 players,a secondary source for casual listnening

2. allowing simple uploads opens up possibilities for piracy, since computers ignore SCMS (unlike MD recorders)

To upload, you must do it in the analog domain unless you get a home MD deck with a digital output (currently cheapest unit is $400 new) and then interface this (how? to a digital input on your PC's sound card. Yuck.

Cheaper but not 100% digital solution is buy a cheap audio CD recorder for about $200, do an analog transfer from MD to CD, then you can pop the CD into your computer to rip tracks.

9. Thanks guys. I guess any of the Sharp models will be it because of the on-the-fly record level adjustment that the Sony lacks. The newer Sony's do provide their mic inputs with enough juice from what I have read at those forums. I think the Sony's are sexier...like that matters. Other than thist, the quality seems fairly consistent. Doesn't seem like you could really go wrong either way. No MD players offer digital outs.
    SMASH, I am assuming you do not use a battery pack for your mics? What is your live sound setup?

10. Yes I read through that thoroughly thank you. At what point did you mean that YES I use a battery pack or NO I do not use one? Based on your opinion of the results w/o one, I'll guess no.
    Thanks for your time, it's been very helpful.

11. iam confused i just want a mic to that liek 40 or under that can handle recording really loud jams .

12. 60 wouldnt be to much.what mic would do the job for what i want for about 60

13. buy a Radio Shack (don't laugh) or Crown PZM mic off Ebay. I got mine for $50 US and it's fantastic. It takes 1 AA battery, so that takes care of any phantom power needs. Get it, you won't regret it. PZMs are the bomb for live recording.....

Mark

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Oh yeah, I remebered why I bought the Sony despite the not being able to change levels unless you pause thing. I got really nervous reading about the Sharp dreaded TOC error.
    Reminded me of the Zip disc click of death thing, so I decided to avoid it. I second the Crown PZM or Radio Shack (if you can find one) mic idea.

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I got the crown because at the time I couldn't find a radio shack one, but look on ebay, thay pop up frequently.

16. Is not being able to adjust the levels on the fly really that crucial? i mean, you can set them before it is in rec. mode right? What is this TOC error thing...do I need to know about that?

17. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    The TOC error is the MD not being able to read the disc's table of contents, consequently not being being able to access any of the tracks. It's seems to be the achilles heal of Sharp. I don't find the "on the fly" level thing to be a problem because I'm usually playing anyway. I just took the time to figure out a safe zone for my MD (Sony MZR700DPC). I then take a look at it during sound check for any final adjustments. Some people can't live without it though. It is a glaring error.

18. i am getting confused whats a good mic i can get off ebay to recored my band.thats cheap.

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    A radio shack or a crown PZM micc. PZM stands for pressure zone mic. These things have a wide dynamic range, are very sensitive, and take a battery to alleviate most mic pre-amp level issues in portable recorders. the radio shack ones are getting a bit harder to find, but they are out there. The crowns are still being made.

20. You know SMASH already covered that at length with you...