Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Portable MP3 player suggestions, anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, my portable CD player broke yesterday. Instead of replacing it, I decided to get an MP3 player (I can play my CDs at home).

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to get something not very expensive. Thanks.

2. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Do you have a computer with a cd-r drive? if so I would recomend a cd based mp3 player. If not then a hard drive based player, the compact flash ect players are way to expensive in terms of media IMHO

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I have an Archos Jukebox and love it.

4. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yes, I have a CD-R

5. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I will second the Archos Jukebox. I got my 20 gig 2 years ago and I love it.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Being a mac guy I'm obliged to recommend the iPod. But they aren't exactly cheap and if you don't have firewire (IEEE 1394) you won't be able to use it.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    iPod is the only way to go for Hard-drive based Mp3 players...I AM a mac user so I'm slightly biased, but if you can afford one...the 10 gig iPod(or 20 gig) is just a dream...everything about it is perfect.

for a cheaper one...check out Rios offerings, I believe they have 256 meg models for fairly cheap(flash ram, not hard-drive)

nomad jukebox is a waste, slow, un-intuitive, short battery life...I hear the new one is pretty good, but the older ones were lame.

I have no experence with archos so I can;t say but they might be good.

side-note....about 6 of my friends that had either archos or nomad jukeboxes traded theirs for iPods.

8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Nomad Jukebox 3!

I have the 20GB version, which is more than enough for me. It has great sound that you can fiddle around with to get the sound that you like, I think it's using some digital signal processing, but it works pretty good. The software is decent though you will probably have to download the latest software and firmware for the unit if you buy it today. I've just begun to use it for recording and so far it's looking like it will replace my minidisc recorder for that since I can record directly to a WAV file. I have a Firewire card and so the transfer of a 500MB file to my hard disk takes less than 2 minutes, maybe less than 1, I didn't time it. I did a recording of a rehearsal last night and just let the thing run for an hour and a half and I still have plenty of battery power to spare even after uploading files to it today. They say the battery lasts 10 hours, I believe that to be true. So far I'm quite happy and impressed with it.

9. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Creative Zen USB2! It is backwards compatible with USB 1 and 1.1, so it will work on nearly any machine. It is very small and sleek, has a 20 gig hard drive, and a 14 hour rechargeable battery. I love mine, it currently has all my CD's on it and I keep it in my car instead of CD's. It totally rocks.:bassist:

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Mini-disc ... MINI-DISC ... MINI-DISC ... MINI-DISC ... MINI-DISC ... MINI-DISC!!!

I say go with a mini-disc.

11. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I already own a mini-disc. I use it to record gigs.

I'd rather not have to transfer my CDs to minidisc to listen to them. For the expense, I could just get another cd player.

The appeal of mp3 is that I can do a workout at the gym or go for a walk without changing discs. The less ballast, the better.

Using the minidisc will be a good temporary solution. Thanks.

12. Hate Mac's, but the IPod rules!

13. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    As I suggested earlier, I would go for the CD based MP3 player. Burn a ton of music to a single disc and go for hours on the same cd, or if somebody gives you a cd to listen to you can still do that. I think that it is the most flexable option because it still allows you to use the standard format.

14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Oh, did I mention that you can slow down any tune by 50% with the Nomad? This thing gets cooler by the minute.

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    oh

16. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    [​IMG]

Come on. You know you want one. :D

17. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    What is it?

Sorry for the deeeelayed response. I'm still looking...

BTW, I don't see people recommending the 5 gig iPod. Any reason?

18. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Bump the iPod, unless of course you own a Mac. It's a cool little player but you get much more bang for the buck with the Nomad because it records. The Nomad makes it so much easier to copy what you record to your PC and then edit using something CoolEdit. I've been using it for recording for about two months now and I love it. It's got oodles of recording time, the only downside is you need a microphone pre-amp when you use a mic.

19. Hey blackbird.. I dont know what type of mini disc you have, and I hope i'm not talking nonsense.. But the mini disc is great for going to the gym, jogging(sp?) and everything..

I own two minidiscs and one of them records live but I haven't figure out how to record mp3 on it.

Is that the kind of mini disc you have?

The other one I have can record up to 5 cds in mp3. so I don't really need to change discs for hours.

Well.. there is also an issue on batteries.. I had an mp3 player, a RIo if i'm not wrong.. That thing couldn't work for more than two hours with the same pair of batteries.. while with the minidisc, as you must know, batteries last for WEEKS.

OK.. I hope this helped .. peace

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    5 gig iPod is a great buy now...cause they are really cheap, if you can find one.

since apple just revamped their iPods(http://www.apple.com/ipod)