Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Portable power for Bergantino HT/EX112's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Buzz, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I'm considering the "ever popular" Berg mini stack (HT/EX112's).
    This has a lot to do with portability. I know some use a WW amp to power them with great results, however the WW isn't anywhere near the budget. I don't want a separate power amp/pre amp because that defeats the purpose of portability. I have an SWR 550x head and Aguilar AG500SC. What portable bass heads are you mini stackers using that's doing justice to these cabinets?
    Playing in a 4 piece classic pop/rock cover band. Small to medium clubs, occasional outdoor gigs with PA support at all gigs. Thanks!
    Buzz

2. I'm sure the Aggie would sound good but the TFB550 is used by a few guys as well as the Ashdown. I've got the WWU and the Thunderfunk and both sound great.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine

I like the Walter Woods with the mini Bergs. But, here are some additional thoughts from some prior testing I was able to perform:

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I only have a 1/2 stack - HT112. I'm using an Eden WT-550 with great results.

5. I use the Thunderfunk 550 with my ht-112/ex--12 stack. Im very happy with it and wont be amp or cab shopping any time in the near or far future. The Thunderfunk is very light a portable...the whole rig has gobs of tone without any problems with weight..

6. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I use a Ashdown ABM 500RC II with that stack and it rocks... :hyper:

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Anothor Ashdown EVO 500 II player here! I've tried many amps with my Bergs but this one just does it for me (considering I can't afford a Woods). It would be perfect for your situation too. Highly recommended!

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    $600 GK1001RB-II 700 watts @4 ohms. Punchy, clean, lightweight and stupid portable with a Rok Bag. I use it for the same type of gigs and my MTD sounds fan-frickin-tastic with this head, I like it better than my old Eden Wt800 which is no slouch. Happy hunting.

9. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    +1 GK1001RBII I love that amp with the mini Berg stack!

10. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I knew there would be some GK1001RBII's raving here. I had mentioned that portability is a big factor, but it's really all about power, portability, price and tone. Thanks to all for the input.
    (Including Buckeye Tom's manifesto!)

11. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I used a ebs td650 with the berg 112's. Great rig!!

12. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    Love my AG500. The only thing I want more is a WWU. I've heard that Ashdown goes with Bergs like PB and J.

13. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have been using a Mesa Walkabout with my Bergie HT/EX mini stack. At outdoor gigs where a bit more volume is required, I noticed the lack of headroom that Tom described. The low notes and clean power hit the limit a little too early when the band gets crankin a little louder. The Walkabout runs out of 'clean' power.

Last night at one my regular gigs, I pulled my Ashdown ABM500 EVO Rackmount head out of my 'big rig' rack and tried it out with the mini-bergs. The difference in clean power and headroom was undeniable. THe Ashdown delivered much more SOLID low B string fundamentals and had superior fullness without breaking a sweat. I also thing i get a more articulate high end with the Ashdown compared with the Mesa Walkabout. The Ashdown ABM500 EVO was nothing short of exceptional with the Mini-bergs.

Tonally, I compared the two amps. The Mesa Walkabout has glorious mids with some of the best growl and punch I have heard and it does so with wonderful musicality. The Walkabout Mids 'cut' extremely well in a band mix. They are exceptional and are somewhat more articulate and distinct in the midrange than the Ashdown without dialing up a LOT of the Mid Knob and Midrange EQ Slider on the Ashdown. I did increase the mids on the Ashdown and had them turned up fairly high, but got a great tone. The Ashdown was clearly superior, and I mean 'no-contest' was with its clean power. It played louder and NEVER broke a sweat or came close to breaking up. The Ashdown ABM500 EVO has a fuller, deeper more enveloping low end to my ears. MY guitarist who is also a tone-whore listened to both amps and then offered this comment; He said the Ashdown reminded him of an SVT. I thought that was quite a compliment.

Bottom line;, Once I switched to the Ashdown ABM500 EVO with my Bergie HT/EX Mini-stack at the gig last night, I never turned back. It was a well-attended gig and we played at a volume that is known to tax/over stress the Mesa Walkabout's ability to deliver clean power, especially on the low notes. The Ashdown just took care of business and sounded great! Gary

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yup, the Walkabout is a midrange monster with killer tone, but to really push some air, it is headroom limited. Sounds like you found yourself a winner!

Tom.

15. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I power my two HT-112s with an Eden WT-400 and an EA iAmp 800. Though the iAmp has more headroom, I prefer the tone of the Eden and find that it has enough power for all but the very loudest situations. Like Tom Bowlus wrote in his comparison, the iAmp 800/HT-112 combo is a little bit dull. I'd love to try out the Thunderfunk with the little Bergs.

Just curious, Tom--how does the tone of the EA NL-210 compare to the HT-112 and the EA Wizzy?

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Of that bunch, the NL-210 and the Wizzy sound the most alike, though the HT112 isn't too far off, really. The NL-210 is a bit more extended in both the highs and the lows compared to the Wizzy, but the Wizzy is a bit more interesting in the mids. The HT112 probably covers a similar tonal range to the NL-210, but has a bit more of a low mid emphasis. I have not directly A/B'd those two, though.

Tom.

17. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Eden WT-550- sounds great to my ears. Of course, the cabs are so damn good that there are probably a whole bunch of different flavored amps that sound great with them! :hyper:

18. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I first went with a 6 space road ready rack with a QSC power amp, Ashdown pre, tuner, and conditioner. I hurt my back lugging it up the stairs, and now I've got a bulging disc/pinched nerve problem to deal with!!!! Needless to say, portability is huge for me. I picked up a GK 1001RBII, and it kicks with the cabs. It's only like 28#, and it has the power to push those cabs. You cannot beat it for the price!!

19. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Another vote for the GK 1001RB-II. I've had this rig with the Bergs and it kicked butt!! 700 watts and only weighs 18 lbs.

20. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    The Bergs seem to like some amps more than others. Between the WT-550 and the AI Focus, I actually think they sound considerably better with the Focus. Additionally, they sounded pretty good with the Thunderfunk. It seems to me that tube (or tube pre) amps that naturally give up a big fat sound don't mate all that well with the Bergs. Just my opinion. The Bergs are all about cut...the cab equivalent of a set of ginsu knives. In this regard, I wouldn't be surprised that the GK amps work well.