Portable, powerful, 4 Ohm cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassgeek, Oct 19, 2000.

1. bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    I'd welcome any suggestions on a portable cabinet with high power handling capability for an Eden Traveler head. If anyone uses this head in a one-cab situation, any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Bassgeek.
  2. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've got an Eden WT-500 that I use with an Eden D410XLT.While the WT-500 is couple of hundred watts more powerful than the Traveller I would pair a D410XLT with the Traveller any day.There would be few gigs that you couldn't play with that rig. Lots of air movement, even in large clubs, and still one cabinet for portability.
    I get lots of comments about the "wall" of sound that my rig produces.The Traveller/D410XLT wouldn't be far off.Get the XLT though. The extra port makes a huge difference.
  3. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    4x10 cabs seem to be the standard solution - but why not try something different?
    2x12 is the way I will be going pretty soon. Portability is better than with a 4x10 (70lbs versus 100lbs) and I really like the sound. (I learned this from using my GK MB150 with a 1x12 extension cab)
    There are some top quality 2x12's: Eden, Epifani, Bag End, Glockenklang.

4. pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.

Thats an interesting thought. Which cabinet are you going with?
  5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've got an Eden 210 XLT and a 410 XLT. Either cab is plenty loud for the gigs I do but I favor the 410 because the highs sound smoother to me. The 210 also has a bit more lower mids than the 410. This is not a bad thing and I find it useful on some gigs depending on the bass I'm playing.

I bought 8 ohm cabinets because I use several power amps and wanted to be able to run both cabs with one of my amps that works bridged into 4 ohms. While there is a difference in the loudness of 8 ohm cabinets, it is so slight that it is not significant. If you A/B 4 and 8 ohm cabs, you'll hear what I mean.

6. bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Chuck B, Matthias, Dave M: Thanks for the replies. The 2X12 option sounds like a good possibility. I already have an Eden 115XLT (8 ohms). I think the portable 4 ohm cab I'm looking for would be used only by itself with the Traveler. I want to extract as much power out of the head that I can into one small cabinet, as opposed to using, say 2-8 ohm cabs. I'm not necessarily after monster volume. More like portability with enough power. In advice on 1-12" or even 1-10" cabs. Thanks
  7. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    First: 212 cabs are rare and there are different opinions why this is so. We had interesting discussions on this topic and there only seem to be 212 lovers and haters, nothing inbetween. (212 fans being the minority)
    Maybe one should mention this.

I have to admit that I have not heard any of the mentioned 212 cabs yet - as I said, I've got the idea from my 112+112 setup.
    As Bag End and Epifani are hardly available in Europe, I will give the Eden and the Glockenklang a try (I know a store wich should carry both, but it's a little out of town)
    The Epifani and the Glockenklang got excellent reviews by the renowned german magazine "Gitarre&Bass" recently.

So I'm looking forward to testing and shopping :)

BTW: The Glockenklang also comes in an extra light (and extra expensive) version: 24kg/54lbs!! (you won't find this on their web-page http://www.glockenklang.com)

[Edited by Matthias on 10-26-2000 at 08:15 AM]
  8. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT

Have you checked out Carvin cabs? It sounds like you are going for more "gourmet" brands, but the fact that all of Carvin's cabs are 4 ohms and can handle a ton of power might interest you. They have a 2x10 with a tweeter that handles 400 watts, a 4x10 and a 1x15 that handle 600 watts each, and a 1x18 that handles 800 watts! I don't personally own any of these, but I love my Carvin LB70 bass and my R600 power amp. I do plan on getting the 1x15 eventually, to go with my R600 for large gigs. I use a SWR Baby Blue for most stuff (practice, small gigs) and a 4 ohm cab to plug directly into the Baby would come in handy, and could tear down walls if I amplify with the 600 watt amp.

The 1x15 has 600 Watts of power handling, but weighs 66 lbs. Can you beat that?