1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Portable/rechargeable Battery

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by back as a wolf, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Hey folks at TB. I'm in my high school's marching band and when we play away games there's not always a power source. So I was wondering if they make any powerful portable batteries that I could just plug my amp into so I could have power...I'm not sure which kind I would need. Any help or input is appreciated. Thanks!

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You'd need to buy a power inverter which converts the 12 volts dc to 120 volts ac as well as a battery. How long the battery will last will depend on how much your amp draws and how loud you play. Obviously a big bass amp rated at 300 watts or more will flatten a battery pretty fast.

The inverter needs to be of high quality too so that it provides the amp with a non fluctuating 120 volts ac. Some guys use motorcycle batteries which are smaller and lighter, although they don't have as much storage capacity as a larger car battery.

Peavey used to have an amp all set up for this. Very small though and about 20 watts. Also look through the Carvin catalogue and see their 100 watt portable PA. It runs on a small rechargeable motorcycle type battery and they claim you can get up to about 2 hours on one charge. It's about 36 lbs. minus the battery I believe.

I think there might be a tiny Roland combo that also runs on battery power and doesn't need an inverter.

Edit to add--there are batteries around which have a lot of capacity and are used to power electric vehicles. They are large, heavy and expensive. That's one reason why you don't see many electric cars around.

3. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    When I did this we got 2 huge PC backup power supplies. They took a few hours to charge, but they held the charge for about 3 hours of playing. Just get a cart to put them and your amp on, and you're set.