Portable rig that handles low B and upright?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Sep 21, 2002.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I apologize for yet another "best portable rig", I realize it has been done several times. It seems people often come back to Eden, Aguilar, Epifani, Bergantino and EA, to name a few. I've been searching the archives and there is a lot (too much) information so I'd like to narrow the question down a bit...

Please help me with some examples of small rigs (can be combo or amp+separate cab(s)) that can handle a low B. "Decent volume" means blues/rock rehearsal without PA support. Other use is not so loud monitoring on stage. I would choose good sound rather than loud volume. It must also do a decent job amplifying an electric upright. Music style is varied, from electric blues and rock to upright jazz. Cost should not be limiting the options to start with. What I'm aiming for is a maximum of let's say a pair of 1x12s or similar size cabinets if possible, I don't want to carry any 4x10s anymore. :)
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I use a 5-string bass guitar and a 5-string EUB, through my Eden WT300, which is very light and small - 13 lbs.

I use a mixture of cabs - but EA are far and away the best-sounding and most compact/portable that I've found in the UK.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Ultimate in compact, yet toneful is a Walter Woods Ultra High Power and a pair of Bergie HT112's.

Or, for a wee bit more, a single rack preamp of your choice coupled with a Stewart World 1.2 in a nice rack bag. since you're using an upright, i say go with audiophile stuff like Demeter's preamps.

if you're guitar playing buds are using combo's and not halfstacks or god forbid fullstacks, then how bout a nice Acme B-2? weighs only 50 lbs. and does the low B in a single cab with amazing ease.
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I use an Acoustic Image Clarus coupled with either an EA CXL 112 or a Bergantino HT112 cab. For louder gigs, I use both. This setup handles both BG (incl. B string) and DB beautifully. And at about 5 lbs, you can't beat the Clarus for portability. As for the cabs, the Bergantino is a little sweeter and a bit more "airy", while the EA is more true (and as a result, slightly less flattering) and a lot more efficient (requires less power). I love them both. All of this stuff is a bit on the pricey side, though.....
  5. I'm a doubler too. For very small upright jazz gigs I use a GK MB150E112 combo (23lbs, 150w, 1x12), for bigger ones I add a Bag End 1x12. For country or rockabilly gigs I replace the 1x12 with a SWR 4x8. On 5str BG, I'll use the same combinations, or if I have a much bigger gig, I'll use a Trace Elliot head with the 4x8 and 1x12. All very light, very compact, sounds great.
  6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Joker said it first. ;)

This happens to be what I got. Its does it all.

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Sorry, seems I posted my rig of choice in a new thread in my excitement. I've also come to gravitate towards the HT112's. Amp is perhaps undecided but the EA iAmp 800 looks nice. Is it your opinion that the Bergantino's need more power to sound their best?
  8. I don't play REALBASS, but my Acoustic Image Clarus/Eden CXM110 rig is extremely portable (5 pounds for the head, 26 for the cabinet), handles a low B incredibly well at medium-to-high volumes, and has just enough of a low-mid push that it might work very well with upright.

I think I paid $675 total for it. The Clarus may well be the best $400 I've ever spent on any piece of gear.