Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Portable stand-alone cab for rock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    What do you think would be the best small, portable single cabinet for practicing with a fairly loud rock band? (I know the small cabs are more popular with jazz players than rock, and you need plenty of speaker area to cut through a rock band, but let's assume you NEED something small to carry around, fit in your car, etc.) Criteria: Needs to be no heavier than 45 lbs and needs to fit in a 14"x20"x18" space.
    Should have decent tone at low volumes for solo practice, but tone and flat frequency response aren't as important as volume in my case.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Price range? And are you looking for a cab, or a combo?

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    EA's CXL112 or the just phased out CXL210.

those things are freakie punchie. a pair could be used as a wrecking ball.

but in all honesty, how loud are these guitar doods? what are they using for rehearsal? i doubt a "small" cab by any means'll cut thru a half stack @ 50 tube watts.

4. A JBL E-145 (preferred) or E-155 is optimum in these dimensions.

Not acceptable for a 5-string, but loud as hell for a 4-string if a bit careful on the low E.

5. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Just a cab, not a combo... hypothetically, I would have a head that I could use to push a much larger cab when I need it, but I'd take the small cab to practices and such. No limit on price... I couldn't easily afford a Glockenklang, Wayne Jones or Accugroove, but if it's what I think I need, I'll go for it.
    The guitarists (two of them) are using 100 watt 12" combos.

6. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Bgavin, where can I find more info about these JBL cabs? Their website doesn't seem to say anything about them.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Funny thing about size, no matter how big it is it's still gonna be verticle, so why not a 4x10 or something? I know the SWR cabs aren't that big. And really, you're going to need some volume for 200 watts of guitars and drums. In most instances, the 2x10s share the same width and depth dimensions as their bigger brothers, it's just height that goes up (unless you set it on it's end, then it would take up less space, I suppose).

Go bigger, you'll never regret the extra volume, and you can always turn down.

Again, SWR cabs aren't that big, especially fore 4x10s or whatever you throw in there, nor are certain Ampeg cabs.

This is just IMHO.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden D-210XST?

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Now there's a thought.

10. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I've thought about it. I used to have a 210XLT, which was a bit too big for what I have in mind (the only cab I've actually been able to fit in the trunk of my car is an Aguilar gs112.) The XST is a few inches shorter and a bit lighter, but I'll still probably have the same problems with it.

And no 4x10's. I gave you the maximum size and weight, and I don't think anyone can cram 4 10"s into that space (especially considering that the cones themselves would take up at least 20" horizontally and vertically.) They actually do make a lot of cabs that are shorter, narrower and not as deep as a 4x10.

Basically, I need something a little bit louder than an Aguilar gs112, but not any bigger. For gigs I would use a 4x10 or something larger. Anyways, I think the Euphonic CXL-112 might cut it. Can anyone suggest something better?

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    D'oh. Teach me to skim.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Simple solution. Ford Excursion. Problem solved.

13. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    i know your pain.

i use the swr goliath jr. mostly for this reason.

it's 55 lbs and a manageable size. fits in my trunk.

try it!

14. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Taking Munji's advice, I now have a Ford Excursion and my new ultra-portable bass rig consists of 4 Mesa powerhouse cabs and 4 Bag End bassaults. Thanks, Munji! :D

Is the Goliath Jr. any louder than the Aguilar 1x12?

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Oh Wait,

i got it! Demeter BSC-1 3x10. its only 59 lbs. but 22W x 20.5H x 17D in., so it might be a bit larger than needed. still, seems like a great bet.

16. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Been thinking about that... and I could always use 2 if I needed more volume, but those are pretty expensive and I've never seen a used one for sale. If anyone has a Demeter 3x10 they need to get rid of, drop me a line. :)

Does anyone know whether it's closer to a 2x10 or a 4x10 in volume? I'm guessing it's about as loud as Bergantino and Epifani's 3x10's (though a good bit smaller and with lower power handling,) so if you've compared those cabs to some 4x10's and 2x10's, let me know how that worked out.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA