1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

portable stool/chair??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jfv, Apr 6, 2006.

1. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I am expecting to start some symphony playing and it
    seems I need to supply my own stool if I want to sit...

The stool Lemur has in the catalog looks great, it folds
    up, its adjustable... only one problem.. they dont have
    any in stock and dont know when they will get more :(

So, question... anyone know another source for these
    things, or secondly, have suggestions on a different
    stool thats somewhat portable. I HAVE a wooden
    4 leg thing I use in my studio at home, but I'd rather
    not have to haul it around, its clunky :)

2. GirlBass

GirlBass

Jul 31, 2005
    New York
    Sorry to say it, but carrying the stool around is part of being a bass player :)
    Most of us have to carry those damn things around, and some even have those big expensive metal ones with the backrest on them that they have to carry around...crazies!
    Target or some similar place most likely has folding metal stools, and I knew someone that got a stool from Ikea. No matter what it is going to be a slight pain in the ass, but you'll get used to it!

3. How about a drummer's throne. That's what im planing on buying. Or actually it's not a drummer's throne but a keyboard-stool made by König & Meyer (do you guys have that in the US?) Anyway, here it is: http://www.k-m.de/D/Katalog/drummer/3index.asp?spr=EN
    The one named stool on the very left. It is hight-adjustable (56 - 93 cm) and foldable. My teacher uses something similar to this.

If you want to, you can buy a mountable food- and backrest too.

Edit: Upps. When you're at the page I've linke to, press "keyboard benches" and there you go.

4. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    This is the stool that i've been using for the past year and ½. It's really comfy, and sturdy as anything. Folds up pretty small. Its a bit on the heavy side, but i like that. I've needed to oil it twice to stop creaks. I use a soft luggage bag with wheels to take it around when i'm bass schlepping.

5. Yeah. I'm quite sure that's the same as the one I'm looking at.

6. I own one of those folding "ergonomic" chairs lemur sells, and I want to tell you to save your money. Mine has seen quite a bit of use in the last two years, and it's just about ready to fall apart. The rubber parts are worn through and two of the plastic legs have gone completely missing. The seat tends to sink down a few inches after a couple hours of playing. It also likes to move slowly backwards if you're not on carpet or pavement.

7. If This is the one?
    In that case, I understand you're having problems, it honestly don't look that very sturdy to me.

Edit: linkproblems - fixed

8. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Thanks guys, the K&M stool does look sturdier, course with
    the backrest and footrest options its getting expensive :(

The basic stool is within my range though, I may just
    swing for one.

9. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    I don't have the foot or back rests with mine. The backrest is unneccessary, I found - the chair is so comfortable that I find i don't get half as tired. Someone also told me it takes less energy to sit straight than to slouch, so maybe thats another reason.

I bet ou'll be real happy with that stool. It adjusts from really low to really high, too.