Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Portable Stool

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Jeff Bonny, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm looking for a high quality portable stool along the lines of a Quiklok BX 714.
    (see for picture)
    http://www.quiklok.com/400x400/sku_BX_714.jpg

I can't find one in stock anywhere in the western US or Canada and am wondering if anyone knows of one or of a similar product. It has to break down to the approximate diameter of a drum stool and the length of a folded mic stand and must have an adjustable height foot rest. Must be road worthy.

Thanks
    jeff

2. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Looks very good. You ever try one?

3. As a rule, I prefer to stand when I play, but yes, I have tried one, and they are very sturdy, and I did like the adjustable foot rests.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

5. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    wow.
    I'm assuming (pun very much intended) that you're a user of this wunnerful product? Playing anywhere soon? Love to see it in action on the gig.
    On second thought maybe I'll just stand up...

6. rickbass

jeffbonny - I play a lot of Mexican restaurant gigs. Through Christmas, my band, The Chicks See D***ks, will be at Burrito Blow in Hoxie, Kansas.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 12-04-2000 at 04:57 PM]

7. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    The image of a guy on a bumperdumper with a guitarone will be with me all day. Thanks.

8. rickbass

What do you think ? Hondo? or Rogue man ?

[Edited by rickbass1 on 12-04-2000 at 04:54 PM]

9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Jeff,
    zzounds doesn't have it in stock but they do offer it for 30% off of retail.

http://www.zzounds.com/make.music?z=924427989323

10. huh huh . . . you said stool

11. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I sat down when I started, then my teacher pointed out problems with my technique. I ditched the stool and it made me play better to boot. I know I aint answering the question, but in a way I am...my stool is ultra portable cuz I doesn't exist!

12. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    response to phil - its funny, zzounds has basically EVERYTHING listed in their catalog, but basically NOTHING in stock. Annoying.

13. If you sit on a stool you will slump down ( human nature ) this makes it hard to play in tune. When I try to sit (because of a bad knee) I just end up standing.

14. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    While this may or may not be true in general it is _not_ true for me specifically. I also have injuries that make it more comfortable to sit. In addition to that I believe I have more, no not more just easier, control of the instrument while sitting. I am very much a student of the mechanics of playing various basses and if I wanna sit and I can figure a way of doing so that is biomechanically efficient then I will sit. I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and guess you haven't got a clue as to where I can find one of these Quiklok stools?

15. Sorry Jeff you are right I don't have a clue but, I will follow this thread because I might be forced to play in a chair in the future. I have seen these on line if they show up I will report back.

16. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Just emailed them to see if the foot rest is adjustable (couldn't tell from the picture). Looks real good fer the price. Prob'ly will go for one if the foot rest moves. Thanks bassdude.

17. Played awhile with a stool, it´s a tree-legs-and-a-bicycle-seat-thing, on which you really don´t sit on actually, more just rest your a...and put the weight partly on the feet. It helped me while my back hurt so much I couldn´t play otherwise, but as soon as the back got better ( did not hurt it playing Bass ), I ditched the thang. Might still be somewhere in the house, though, but I must say I can´t get a good hold of my playing if don´t stand next to my baby.
    Did ya see anybody in a symphony orcherstra ever play in a section standing next to the Bass? No did I.

18. Scopaz

Scopaz Supporting Member

May 23, 2002
    Chicago & Midwest Area
    OK, so I am revising a hellified old thread. Any new products out there in the wake of portable bass chairs or stools?