1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Portaflex - B12X Deal of the Century!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phil_Collins, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Phil_Collins

Phil_Collins

Feb 18, 2008
    [​IMG]

Only after it's done up right. hehe.
    I acquired it for the low, low price of a Sigma tele copy.

Someone even went through the trouble of putting it into a head cabinet.
    so cooooooool. It probably needs new preamp tubes and maybe a recap, but zomg. Such a sweet sound.

I traded for it knowing it needed work, the guy I got it from told me as much. He said it worked fine until 3 years ago, he took it in to a tech, and it never worked right afterward. He kinda felt that the tech ripped him off and didn't do everything, or anything he said he did, aside from making him replace all the 6sl7s to the groove tube substitubes and all 12ax7s. He thought it was too gain heavy, and put all but one of the original 6sl7s back in. He didn't say if it squealed when the 12ax7s were in there though...

The first time I fired it up, a few minutes it it started to pop and crack intermittently and neither the reverb or trem want to work well before squealing, and the volume on Ch. 2 can't go beyond 5 before it starts squealin' like a pig...Ch. 1 can get to 7/8... It actually sounds really good and breaks up a bit before it starts squealin'.

Kinda sounds like the preamp tubes to me? the poppin and crackin is probably a bad cap?

It's the 2-6l6 version, so I believe its 30 watts? 6 6sl7 preamp tubes which I hear are pretty bad (harmonic) tubes to begin with, so I might get those groove tube converters and change the ax7's to au or ay's. Or try to find some Mil-spec 6sl7s on ebay.
    There's one in the amp right now-
    [​IMG]

I'm afraid of changing the preamp tubes to 12a-7 anything because I fear it would change the way the amp should sound.

I feel like I got a hell of a deal, provided I can make the squealing go away. The only problem being that I can't find anything specific to the B-12-X.

Now for all the tl;dr responses. lol

2. Phil_Collins

Phil_Collins

Feb 18, 2008
  3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
  4. Phil_Collins

Phil_Collins

Feb 18, 2008
    That's a good deal, but is that just the head? or head + cab?
    And no pics? is that guy in the stone age?

I'd probably jump on the guy, if only for more info about the condition + pics.

5. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    Congrats from SVT-HD deal of the century! I love that older Ampeg look and the chicken head knobs. Good job!