Portaflex live: mic into PA?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 54P, May 20, 2003.

1. 54P

Mar 16, 2003
    I'm playing live again with a group that mics the drummer, horns, guitars, singers, everything into a nice big EAW PA. I'm using their SWR Super Redhead or Carvin, for stage volume, and lined-out to the board. I don't like the sound of either of these, and want to use my old Portaflex B15N. What do you suggest: hang my trusty SM57 over the top, or install an xlr or something off the preamp? I want to capture as much of the Portaflex tone as possible. Thanks for your experience and advice!
  2. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    If you've got a B15 the ONLY way to go is a mike on the speaker. Those things are so warm it's just ridiculous! Hanging your mic over the top is not the best way to do it though. Get a stand and point the mic at the speaker, off-center and at an angle. I would suggest a different mic too, say an AKG D112 or, even better, a Sennheiser MD421. You can pick either up used on ebay for pretty reasonable prices. You can also find them on sale new sometimes. YMMV. :cool:
  3. I'll second the use of a stand, but for a 4-string, the SM57 will do a fine job. A D112 will scoop too much out of the sound, but a Sennheiser 421 would sound awesome.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    (Rolls tongue back into his head and wipes the drool from his chin) I love those PA's......

Ineal's right. Don't use a carrot mic. It won't capture any of that warmth....