1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Portaflex live: mic into PA?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 54P, May 20, 2003.

1. 54P

54P

Mar 16, 2003
    I'm playing live again with a group that mics the drummer, horns, guitars, singers, everything into a nice big EAW PA. I'm using their SWR Super Redhead or Carvin, for stage volume, and lined-out to the board. I don't like the sound of either of these, and want to use my old Portaflex B15N. What do you suggest: hang my trusty SM57 over the top, or install an xlr or something off the preamp? I want to capture as much of the Portaflex tone as possible. Thanks for your experience and advice!

2. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    If you've got a B15 the ONLY way to go is a mike on the speaker. Those things are so warm it's just ridiculous! Hanging your mic over the top is not the best way to do it though. Get a stand and point the mic at the speaker, off-center and at an angle. I would suggest a different mic too, say an AKG D112 or, even better, a Sennheiser MD421. You can pick either up used on ebay for pretty reasonable prices. You can also find them on sale new sometimes. YMMV. :cool:

3. I'll second the use of a stand, but for a 4-string, the SM57 will do a fine job. A D112 will scoop too much out of the sound, but a Sennheiser 421 would sound awesome.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    (Rolls tongue back into his head and wipes the drool from his chin) I love those PA's......

Ineal's right. Don't use a carrot mic. It won't capture any of that warmth....