1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Portaflex voltage question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deekay911, Aug 12, 2018 at 3:44 PM.

1. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    I am sure this question has been asked before, but hard to search and find with all the portaflex threads out there. I have a 1963 B15N, and an early 60's SB12 (with a B12 cabinet, cross over model), and I am relocating from the US to the UK later this year. I will be taking them with me, but don't really want the hassle of a stepup transformer. Are there any mods to convert from 120 to 240V, do the transformers have tappings for that? TIA

2. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    All the B15N service manuals I have from that era show separate USA and EXPORT model numbers for the power transformer, so I don't think they had the extra primary tappings. I would imagine it's that same for the SB12 but I don't have any documentation to confirm that.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    You’ll need to change out the power transformers for ones with 240V 50Hz primaries. I’m quite sure Ampeg will not have them. You might find one if you check companies who supply replicas. There are a few but you might have to pay to have them custom wound. Possibly checking European sources could find what you need.

Where you going in the UK?

4. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    I'll be back in London. Maybe a stepup transformer would be the easiest way, since all the amp transformers are original and I'd prefer to keep them that way..

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, if you're not willing to switch them out, then that's your only option. But a new transformer is potted a lot better and has taps for both voltages, and some places will install them in the original cans, so if the stepup gets irritating to move around, you do have another option. Me, I'd probably live with the idea of the stepup box.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If the move is permanent I’d go with the transformer replacement. if not I’d just use a steppe transformer while in the UK.