Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've been hearing a song recently on the local "alternative" station, and it starts with what sounds like bass synth - nice thumpy bg mixed with some square wave, but there's obviously portamento. So I was wondering if that could really be bg thru a bass synth, or maybe it's just keyboard doubling the bass. I sure wish I could remember the name of the band.
  2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    you MUST be talking about "Time Is Running Out" by Muse. It sure does sound like the clearest, deepest fuzz bass ever - which makes me think it's a synth, actually - not even doubled with a bass, just a real deep saw-wave patch.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It could be fretless bass, of course....but likely it is a synth especialy if there are large interval jumps (hard to slide that fast on a bass).
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, that's the one. Sure sounds like a bass under the synth sound, but hard to be sure.
  5. I did some experimenting with my Deep Impact and it gets a pretty good slide portamento sound and a fretless and or a compressor would probably enhance the sustain. You might try one of the other synth pedals to see how they track pitch changes.