Portastudio Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Jebis, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    After taking a begining recording techniques class at Long Beach City College(which has an amazing recording engineer program), I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to sell my T.V. and my playstation 2(they've been collecting dust for months now anyways) so that I can invest in a basic recording rig. My budget is set at $500.

All of the work for my class that I've done so far has been on a Tascam 488 mkII, which I've really liked so far, but I've really been tempted to go digital. So far I've been trying to decide between the Tascam 424 mkIII, or the Fostex MR8. Any other recommendations or input would be greatly appriciated.
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have the Tascam 424 mkIII. I have not used the Fostex. Therefore my comments on one will be specific and the other vauge.

Ignoring models for a moment, the question you have to ask yourself is "why am I recording?" I'd ask "what am I recording?" as well.

Why-most tape machines are not good enough for a deal type demo but are good enough as a songwriting tool or sketchpad. You can at a push record gig demos (to get gigs). Entry level digital machines are usually aimed at the keyboard player or guitarist who will use MIDI or drum machines. THis leads us onto what.

What-many mchines will only record two inputs or tracks at any given time. THis is useless for anyone wishing to record drums, the whole band, brass section, orchestra etc.

So onto specifics. The 424 will record 6 inputs and route them up to 4 tracks. With a little thought and bouncing it is possible to make up some layered tracks that sound ok. THe other plus is that it's similar to the 488 (you can apparently record on a 424 and them play it back or even add another four tracks on the 488).

Check the Fostex's mixer capacity before you decide.

Hope this helps.