1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ported/Sealed Pt. 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by beforeitsallove, Feb 20, 2008.

1. So, I'm in the market for a 15" to compliment my ampeg 810. I want options, and a 410, 115 and 810 seem like options.

No tweeters. 4 ohm. ~350-500 watts? Price isn't an issue (woohoo!)

I don't know if i want it ported or sealed as a compliment to the sealed 810. I've also never had a 15, i've played a few, wasn't able to pair it up with an 810 ever. I don't really know if the sealed would be the best choice in this situation to give me that bass low end. what would be the ideal cab?

I'm getting serious gas being on these boards, and feel that this is next step for me. So, any input would be way helpful.

2. If its low end your wanting, ported would probably be the way to go.

However, ive also never managed to add anything to my 810 and have a good sound coming through.

Maybe you want to look at bi-amping?

Maybe someone else will give a more useful post than mine :p

3. that doesn't sound promising.

i don't need like, b thump. i just need d's.

biamping wouldn't suit me because there isn't a real demarcation where i'd feel comfortable handing the lower end to the 115.

(100hz? 120hz? there isn't a neat spot in my playing style that'd fix that)

4. if you have a head that will do 2 ohms, a 15 will see just as much as your 810 cab. not something i think would sound good. you might as well dump the 810, get another 410 to add to your current 410 and then get a ported 15 for versatility. i cant really imagine any need for a 810 and a 15 together. sealed 15s dont really make any sense to me.

5. Why don't they make sense? That's really what i want to know. That and where can i find some tweeterless 15's? or am i better off just fixing them up and taking the tweeter out?

The question isn't really should i put the two pieces together. I probably will, probably hate the way the two sound together (or i might love it, who knows) and will pick up a 410 in conjuction with the 115 in time, but does anyone play an 810 and 115. i'm sure most of you wouldn't need that power in a lifetime. but. hey. that's me.

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    i've typically seen sets ups that are 2 or 4x10/1x15 or 8x10/2x15. haven't tried the 8x10/1x15 route simply for size and aesthetic reasons. when using more than one cab, if i cant stack them, id like them to line up and look right together, which is probably the same reason you tend to see more 8x10/2x15 combos than 8x10/1x15.

as stated above though, without some kind of cross-over you'd just be sending the same signal to both cabs so it probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

maybe if you tried a 15 with a tweeter that has an attenuator. then you could shut off the tweeter, but still have a cross-over built into the cab to filter the range of frequencies going to the 15.

or go with somethign like the mesa powerhouse 1000 with the 4x10/1x15 built into the same cab. cabs like that are designed to deal with the issue you're having.