Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

porter cable or Dewalt

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Sep 19, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    My Ryobi Laminate trimmer is dying. I used it tomake my first basses I didn't even have a router. Now I use both a router and a laminate trimmer. My sister works for Grainger and wants to get me a replacement for my birthday. What one would you guy get?

http://www.grainger.com The link... PORTER CABLE 7319 DEWALT DW673K :D

2. I like Porter-Cable(Porter is my middle name :rolleyes: )& have never had a problem w/either of my PC routers. I have no gripe w/DeWalt; their stuff looks nice, & although DE is a subsidiary of Black & Decker(the worst power tools known to man or beast), my experience w/their tools has been good. Either brand should be a large step up from Ryobi, IMO.

3. I think many people who spend any amount of time with tools in general will tell you that Porter Cable is much better than DeWalt.

4. +1 But on a side note I think they are both owned by Black n Decker now.

5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    pc

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I was at Lowe's getting a feel for some different routers and really liked the feel of the P/C stuff, so I vote Porter.

Then again, yellow is my favorite color.

Really.

7. The big DeWalt 3 hp's have too much plastic in the motor housing for me. I just went looking and I found this:

On Sale!

3.25 HP of pure power. This is on Amazon for $285 - 54% off the list of 617.00. :eek: That is real tempting.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Porter cable, mos def. I got a drill/flashlight set for christmas, and it rocks.

9. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Iknow it may sound crazy but I am going to get another Makita. It has 2 clear bases that makes it very nice to use for woodworking. The motor isn't as strong but I am not asking it to route out control cavities like I used to. It ought to lastme another 4 years or so. When I need another router I will get a better one than I have though.

Ryobi
    Laminate Trimmer KIT
    Model TR45K

10. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004

I have 3 of these Big PC routers...They certainly are great and at a good price on Amazon....But, they are really cumbersome doing guitar work....They weigh a ton! I usually use these routers when I'm building slab tables. The smaller PC routers are much easier to move around a guitar template.

11. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I have a pc 1 3/4 fixed/plunge combo, and I love it.

12. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    pc

13. Oh, I've got the 1.75HP with a fixed and plunge base too but I also like to use my router table with a 2" straight bearing bit for doing stuff and these big'uns are great upside down. We also used this size PC motor in our CNC table at a place I used to work for. They were great.

14. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    I have one of my big PCs mounted in my router table....There is enough hp there to rival some shapers! I use the other 2 "Big-Boys" to run my large ovolo and other huge shaping bits when building large tables.