1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Portishead's style of trip-hop (more trip, less hop)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BassNoobSuomi, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Okay. I've been listening to Portishead a lot lately. And it seems that no other bands have even a relatively similar sound. Most "Trip-hop" bands seem to be just what the name of the genre implies. A particularly trippy form of hip hop.

Are there any "trip-hop" bands that have that slightly jazz-influenced, "more trip, less hop" vibe to them?

Also. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. But i didn't know where else to put it.

2. Hello! Is anybody in here?!

3. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Nope

4. dalahorse

dalahorse

Apr 14, 2010
    US-CO-Aurora
    You might check out Hooverphonic. I think they're exactly what you've described.

5. no bands I'm aware of which is a drag because I really like Portishead. Estero kinda gets there but it's not really on the same level, they're more like Hooverphonic to my ears.

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Check out the Sneaker Pimps, their first album with 6 underground is great. They fired the girl singer after they got tired of Portishead comparisons.