1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Portland Bound: PCC, OSU, Engineering, and Physics

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pierce, May 11, 2006.

1. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    my wife and i will be relocating to portland (cuz she luvs it) in the fall. she has several jobs lined up, and my job moves with me. i will be attending a few classes at pcc, and then applying to the mech engineering or engineering physics schools at OSU in corvallis (yes, i realize it is a commute) to study emerging technologies in alternative energy.

i would like to ask any of the portland tb'ers (or ex-portland tb'ers), or anyone who attended OSU, or any engineering types for that matter, to offer any advice, anecdotes, stories, experiences that they may have concerning these things. i realize its a broad post, so here are specific things i am looking for:

* bass teachers (doublers) in the area
    * area's to avoid when looking for rentals
    * PCC experiences
    * OSU experiences (including commuting)
    * oregon engineering
    * vegetarian and vegan living (we found voodoo donuts and food fight!)
    * animal rescue groups
    * music scene!!!
    * music stores
    * must see
    * must miss
    * best worst things about portland, and oregon
    * etc.

please dont pull any punches, i want to know all the nitty gritty.

thanks in advance

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Get a pair of Birkenstocks, and a couple tie-dye t-shirts. Tell your wife to throw away her razors.

I've been to Apple Music in downtown Portland a few times. They have a nice selection of bass gear. There is a Nike outlet store down there where you can score some smokin' deals on Nike kicks and clothes.

-Mike

3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    we've already pm'd about some things... but I thought I'd toss an answer to some of your specifics here too...

* bass teachers (doublers) in the area
    I'm no help here sorry
    * area's to avoid when looking for rentals
    that's tough, most areas of portland have some redeaming qualities... based on what little I know about you, I'd point you towards Hawthorne district. It's a cool earth friendly kinda area without being pushy about it (though starting to get a little yuppie, that happens everywhere cool)
    * PCC experiences
    My wife went there for part of her paramedic. she liked it. attends ccc (clackamas) now for nursing/also happy.
    * OSU experiences (including commuting)
    that commute would kill me, you might look at PSU or UofP (catholic, but good school) instead. gas prices would kill ya. reed college also... very liberal and I know they have a nuclear reactor on campus.
    * oregon engineering
    No help
    * vegetarian and vegan living (we found voodoo donuts and food fight!)
    Lots of places... many also include vegan/vegitarian items on otherwise traditional menus. portlandmercury.com has an annual restaraunt guide issue (might be avail on line?).
    * animal rescue groups
    I'd start at Oregonzoo.com... I bet there's a ton of links. My only experience is with the audubon society (waaay nw) and DoveLewis. I'm sure their sites have tons of links too.
    * music scene!!!
    portlandmercury.com (local free paper with most of the happenings and ads). willametteweek.com (another... a little more "mainstream" but still has some good info)
    * music stores
    apple - huge selection, nearly world famous for poor service, but if you go in with knowledge you're ok
    Portland music - it's like a local guitar center, biggish, decent selection, knowledgable/nice people.
    Old Town Music - tiny used/vintage kinda place. Great people, very cool.
    Trade Up Music - Med sized used gear place. Not always a great selection, but good people, and good if you like to trade your gear out a lot.
    * must see
    Mcmenamins anything. Maybe too carnivore friendly, but great microbrews, good food, great atmosphere. They save historic buildings, and make 2nd run theaters/brew pubs out of them. the Baghdad, Edgefield, White Eagle (supposed to be haunted), Kennedy School...
    * must miss
    the Blazers

note on Nike. I was an avid anti Nike/3rd world labor/huge profit etc hater. This season I got roped into coaching little league, and Nike donated a ton of great safety gear, helmets, bats, gear bags, to my otherwise very poor team/league. I will from now on be a nike loyalist!

4. Sorry, but we have our quota of Californians this year. Please try again later.:D

J/K. Welcome to the great wet north. Umm, lemme see if I can answer all those questions:

* bass teachers (doublers) in the area: Yes, several. The head of the musc department at CCC, Tom Wakeling, is an INCREDIBLE double player.
    * area's to avoid when looking for rentals: FELONY FLATS. It's the area between 82nd Ave and I-205. Meth and gangs are very prolific here. So are most areas of North Portland. My advice, head a little south, in the Milwaukie/Clackamas/Gladstone/Oregon City area.
    * PCC experiences: Stands for Pretty Crappy College. Take CCC instead. Cause I'm here.:D
    * OSU experiences (including commuting): Never attended, but I have lots of friends down there. It's a very good school, with high class facilities and good faculty. But you don't want to commute from Portland. That's like a 2 hour drive each way. Bad mojo.:scowl:
    * oregon engineering: Not sure what you are asking here. Like the arcitecture? Umm, just like any other city.
    * vegetarian and vegan living (we found voodoo donuts and food fight!): We're all lefty liberal hippies up here. No problem finding that. You'll want to hit the area around 23rd and Burnside for the ultimate vegan experience.
    * animal rescue groups: A few, but from what I get off the local news they are way overcrowded
    * music scene: VERY nice. Lots of little clubs, plus some really nice larger venues. Lots of music festivals too, like Mt Hood Jazz Festival and the Bite or Portland
    * music stores: DO NOT GO TO APPLE MUSIC. They will rip you off big time. Portland Music is pretty good, as is the Clackamas Guitar Center (where I worked) and Artichoke Music. Very few "mom and pop" stores, but that came from before GC moved in.
    * must see: OMSI, Washington Park Zoo, Mt Hood, Columbia River Gorge, anywhere on the coast, Tillamook Cheese Factory, Evergreen Aviation Museum, Oregon Historical Society, umm, lots of other stuff I can't remember at the moment
    * must miss: North Portland, Camas Washington, Canby, and anyplace east of 250th ave
    * best worst things about portland, and oregon: Small town atmosphere with large city enjoyments, great environment. On the other hand, it rains all the time and we have some very bad economic problems

Anything else? I could go on and on about my home, so I'll stop now and save the bandwidth.

Rock on
    Eric

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hey now! I bought a few things from them, and I was never ripped off. The people who get ripped off are the uninformed. Arm yourself with some knowledge, and you can walk out of Apple Music with a good deal.

-Mike

6. Then you lucked out big time. Everytime that I have been there they have either blown me off or tried to rip me off. I happen to know that the owner just had to drop half a million of his own dollars into Apple just to keep it afloat. Their reputation is horrible here.

Well, the main shop's is. The acoustic shop has a much better rep. Still not great, as most of those employees are all snobs, but they won't try to rip you off.

Rock on
    Eric

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Well, they tried to rip me off, I just wouldn't let them. I walked out empty handed most of the time.

-Mike

8. Anytime that I have to leave empty handed even though I want to buy leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I won't deal with a company that requires that I fight that hard for a deal.

Rock on
    Eric

9. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    So close... I was hoping that Reed college would come into this thread. I just got in yesterday (I came off the waitlist) so I, too, will be studying physics in Portland. I cant wait! Its going to be culture shock coming from NYC, but its Reed!

10. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Portland is a kinda cool city.
    The fiance and I moved here from Boston, not quite the same.

I'm taking electric from Jake Kot, he doesn't do upright though.
    I've heard the name Tim Acott around though for upright.

You should check out http://www.portlandjazzjams.com
    You should be able to hook up with some people from there, you could also check out PSU music program to see who they'd recomend.

The music scene has pretty much everything to offer, seems to be enough.

I LOATHE Apple music. They are VERY profit oriented. They tend to be rude, but they do get some nice stuff there, weigh the good with the bad there. I tend to go there and try stuff out, then buy it elsewhere. The owner, Kelly, is kinda a prick.

For used stuff I like Trade Up music on SE division st, and Old Town Music, (SW) downtown, has some great pedals.

My favorite music store in portland is by far Fearless Guitars. http://www.fearlessguitars.com/
    The owner there is AMAZING. I love this place. Knows an awful lot and is always helpful. I bought my bergantino nv610 off him. He has some great gear there, and I feel he's good with his prices. I played my first Wal there, but I couldn't afford it. :bawl:

I've noticed tons of vegan stuff around here as well as natural foods, so no problem there.

I live in SE portland, so I'm partial to here. I would say live no further than like 55th for SE portland. Rent is damn fine here compaired to Boston. We're paying $550 a month for a 2 bedroom apt.

Downtown is SW portland and you'll pay more there because its downtown. NE portland is decent too, but I like to live closer to the "city", so again I'd stick w/in 55th ave.

Just whatever you do stay the HELL AWAY FROM 82nd ave.

The Hawthone are in SE portland is full of the hippster/scensters if you're into that sorta thing.
    The Baghdad is a great place though.
    Or you could always check out the many many many (friggin' billions) of FULL NUDITY strip clubs here.
    I've heard good things about the Acropolis. They're supposed to have their own cattle ranch, so the steak there is good and cheap....but I have a feeling that might not........

Good luck.

11. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

how bout it? anyone have info on reed, or its physics dept?

actually, im kind of surprised reed has physics...i thought it was a lib arts school. i say that because im in school with a lot of reed alumni who are trying to get a "useful degree" (thier words, NOT MINE. i have no experience or opinion of reed). i will have to check it out.

12. Reed is the only college in the US with a working nuclear reactor on campus. They have a HUGE physics department.

Oh, and arb, I know the owner of the Acrop. He was a good customer of mine when I worked at GC. His name is Johnny Hotnuts. Awesome guy.:D

Rock on
    Eric

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I think Dave Captein teaches both BG and DB. If you want the full-meal on upright, Glen Moore and Dave Friesen have both done right by some of my friends.

A friend of mine is house bassist next month for some of the Mississippi Pizza jams linked above. PM me when you get up here and maybe we can hook up. I'm planning on playing a few of 'em myself.

Must see: BEER.