Portland Maine?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by newbold, Aug 24, 2013.

1. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Folks,

I'll be in Portland with my Sweetheart at the end of this year starting a new life in a new place.

I have a few questions:

Great music venues?
    Great rooms?
    What's the social scene like there?
    What's up in terms of songwriters and original music in Portland?

Are there any amazing tribute or cover bands from Portland/area?

More to come?

2. Zanzibar Delgado

Zanzibar Delgado Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    San Diego, California
    Falls of Rauros is from Portland :)

3. ON the ONE

ON the ONE

Nov 20, 2010
    Maine
    Some popular/good venues in Portland are not limited to:
    The state theatre, port city music hall, the asylum, and a hundred more.
    Lots of bars and clubs hire bands. The Big Easy is good, Bull Feeney's, Rira, and Brian boru's all book bands regularly. There are a bunch that I'm leaving out.
    Check out the Portland Phoenix magazine for a full list. They publish most of the city's events each week.

4. geeza

geeza

Mar 15, 2009
    Earth, but just barely.
    I'm not wearing pants
    Not sure of what kind of music you like, but check out Gunther Brown.

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

I've been up there a few times. Seen a couple tours passing through. As far as I could tell, it's the entertainment hub for the rest of Maine and pretty active scene for a town its size. On the One already listed the places I would have thought of.

6. I live in Augusta Maine - I can tell you it's a very active and diversified music scene - ton's of bars with music and larger venues - ranging from 10,00 to a couple hundred to coffee shops. There's a magazine called Phoenix that is dedicated to the art scene.

7. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Here's to all of that and anything else anyone can share about Portland.

I'm hoping to get there well before Thanksgiving.

8. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    The Phoenix Magazine is a one place to start for seeing what kind of shows are happening and might be able to turn you on to some of the local scene. The bollard.com in another online mag worth checking out.

As far as living here goes it's a pretty cool town. Small for a city but big for Maine. Lots of food art and music.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021