Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA - Things to do this Saturday night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by embellisher, Oct 21, 2004.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I will be in Vancouver for business this weekend. Anything to do Saturday night? Any TBers have gigs in the area?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey Jeff,

I will be subbing in a country band, The John Henry Band at Jubitz Truck Stop...

Jubitz
    Ponderosa Lounge
    10350 N. Vancouver Way
    Portland, OR
    (503) 345-0300

From I-5
    Take exit #307 towards Marine Dr. -- Go 0.7 mi
    Turn Left on N. Marine Way -- Go 0.1 mi
    Turn Right on N. Vancouver Way -- Go 0.5 mi

Stop on in if you're of a mind to :)

-robert

3. embellisher

I know!:(

Robert, what time are you guys playing?

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    It's kind of open-ended... 8:30-ish to 2:00-ish should be a safe enough guess... Time to go learn some of the tunes :)

-robert

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Get drunk with The Beard. Take pictures.

6. embellisher

:confused:

7. embellisher

Actually, I might consider coming up to Vancouver, BC Saturday night. Never been to Canada, after all. But if I did, I couldn't stay long. Maybe a half hour or so, and head straight back to my hotel in Portland.

I have to be at our Vancouver WA plant at 8:00 am Sunday.

How much of a hassle is it for a US citizen with no passport to get into Canada? And how much of a hassle for me to get back in the US?

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Dude....pit stop in Olympia, exit 111 off I-5, if you can....the guys I jam with are doing a jazzy/bluesy instrumental coffee house gig Saturday night from 5-8.

-Mike

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Brendan. Brendan is in Portland. Brendan has a rather large beard. Brendan likes beer.

10. embellisher

I might can meet up with Brendan Sunday night. Although he is conspicously absent from this thread.

I have a plan. You guys tell me if I am insane.

I have a meeting at our Vancouver, WA plant at 2:00 pm.

Leave Vancouver at 3:00, and head up to Seattle. Get to Bass NW around 5:30. Spend 30 minutes there, leave at 6:00, and head up to Vancouver, BC.

Spend 30 minutes or so in Vancouver, just so I can say I've 'been there', and head back to my hotel in Portland. Arrive back in Portland around 2:00 am and crash.

My only fear is the border. How much will they hassle me? How long will it take to get into Canada, and then back into the US?

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The border's pretty unpredictable, and Seattle traffic is very predictable. :meh: If you change your mind and decide to come out to the Gorge, I'm playing 6-9PM tonight at Crawdaddy Jct., a cool Cajun restaurant in Husum WA, about an hour east of Vancouver via SR14. Just a casual blues/jazz duo, you can sit in on my EUB if you're up for it. I'll also be around tomorrow, give me a PM if you want to look at waterfalls or whatever.

Sorry to jump in so late, hope you have some fun whatever you do.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    dude.....your plan was nuts....i hope you didn't try it.

so....did any of us Washington/Oregon/Canada guys get blessed with a visit from the mighty embellisher?

I did not.

-Mike

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Nor did I... Had a gig right in the middle of his 'hot zone' too... I feel so... I dunno... slighted :(

-robert

14. embellisher

I did it! Smash, I saw a guy downtown that looked just like you, but was too far away to hear me yell 'SMASH!'. Were you walking around with a pretty asian girl?

I got to BassNW at 5:30, and was thoroughly unimpressed. I expected a lot more brands that I hadn't played or seen in person. Somehow it seems that there is more inventory on their website than they have in the store.

I got to Vancouver BC around 8:45, and drove around for an hour or so. Got out and walked a little bit downtown, and then headed back south.

It was a breeze getting into Canada, but I was majorly hassled getting back into the US. A guy who could barely speak english grilled me for 30 minutes, wanting to know why I was in Canada, did I do any illegal substances while in Vancouver, where was I born, etc. Raked me over the coals for not having my birth certificate or passport with me. I had no idea that I would need either. Obviously a lot has changed since 9/11.

Got back to my hotel in Portland at 2:30 am, and had to be at our plant for the server room move at 8:00 am. Sunday was a tough day.

On the plus side, somewhere between Portland and Beaverton, I had the pleasure of the best sushi roll I have ever found.

Sorry I didn't get to meet any of you guys. I was so busy sightseeing, I forgot everything else, until I got to BC. And on the way back, I didn't want to stop, because I knew that if I got less than 3 1/2 hours sleep, I would be worthless Sunday.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

truth be told...i feel the same way when i go in there. the store rocks, and the dudes that work there are great, but it just doesn't live up to the claim of being "the largest bass only store in the world". maybe i had too high of expectations? i expected to walk in and see gear for miles from every brand in the world.

glad you had a good time driving around our state for a few hours. come back anytime. :)

-Mike

16. Well, this saturday i have a pretty big benefit gig for the cancer society that my group is opening for. But, your probably wont be able to make it seeing how its not in Portland.... its in Salem, OR.

17. embellisher

Smash, if I could tell you the name of the street, I would, but I haven't a clue.

Were you wearing a knit cap? I swear it was you. Does your girlfriend have colored hair?

I saw most of downtown Seattle. By the time I got into Vancouver BC, it was dark, so I saw what downtown Vancouver looks like at night.

I was amazed that there were so many asian places all over Vancouver. Vietnamese, Korean, and of course Chinese and Japanese. Everywhere!