Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Portrait of Jaco-The Early Years CD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jim T., Mar 10, 2002.

1. Not sure if this fits "Basses" threads, but I was wondering if owners of the "Portrait of Jaco-the Early Years" CD could give us a review or two? Does it hold up to repeated listening? Is it just an interesting historical document that'll be of initial interest or will it give bassists a lot of inspiration and transcription material, etc.? Portrait of Tracy... considering your avatar...figured you'd have a copy? Thanks, Jim T.

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    This should be in "Misc" I believe, either that or "Recordings." :)

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    recordings, all the way

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

My sentiments exactly. Moved.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...meanwhile, back at the ranch.

Jim T-
    Check out www.jacotheearlyyears.com
    I don't think the set is available to the general public, quite yet.

I did pick up the April issue of Jazz Times today...Jaco is on the cover, there's an article about the Bobbings' set, too.
    Every so often, Jazz Times does a BASS oriented issue...this one falls into that category(you'd almost think it was a Bass rag).

What I learned from this issue-
    Fima Ephron has a 'solo' disc(Soul Machine)...so I ordered that + one by one of his other bands, Hasidic New Wave w/ Torsos' guitarist 'Fuse'. Tower Records sez "...if you like Miles, Hendrix, & traditional Jewish dance music, these guys are for you". How 'out' is that?! ;)

Michel Camilo has a 'new' trio disc out with Anthony Jackson & 'El Negro'...

There's also a review of Victor Bailey's That's Right!.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've been checking the website everyday. :D

7. Jim K. Thanks for the link and magazine heads up. I'll pick it up today as I'm headin' to Seattle to see James Cotton before he sheds his mortal coil...

Jazz Times seems to have that "bass" issue every year. It featured Mingus last year. Everything you mentioned sounds like fun!

Well, that explains why I haven't seen the Jaco CD in any of the stores or catalogs. From the BP article I thought it was out for a couple of months now...

Everyone else, I consider myself suitably "spanked" for being too senile to think of the recordings threads category! It's me advanced age...:oops: