Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Portrait of tracey double harmonics

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ahhelpme, May 4, 2005.

1. ahhelpme

ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    Im currently learning portrait of tracy by jaco pastorius and im having trouble just after the first proper fretted notes, there are two harmonics on the D and G strings on the fourth fret, that are supposed to be played at the same time, I dont really know how to do this and make it ring properly, and also, how are you supposed to do two harmonics on different strings at the same time as well as fret another note which is further away?
    Id appreciate any hints or advice from anyone who has learnt this song, it would be a greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

2. the thing with PoT it takes LOTTA work!

i think my hand developed a few new muscles while learning portrait... ;) the harmonics you mean just after the C note are B(4th fret G string) and D(5th fret D string) btw.

my advice: when you hit the B, slide onto the C. I use my middle and ring finger to hit the harmoncs B & D at the same, then use my index, while still holding the C to hit the 3rd fret hormonic (A', its right on the fret).

hope this helps, PM me if you need more help so i can help ya out asap... ;)

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Takes a lot of practice, and by the end of it, you'll be much better at harmonics! Learning this song is like learning proper harmonic technique. It'll develop. Finger it like this -- the fretted note (C) with your index finger, the next up harmonic (a D, fifth fret on the D string) with your pinky, and the next up harmonic (a B, fourth fret on the G string) with your ring finger.

Now, when you pluck a harmonic, play near the bridge, and pluck up and away from the body -- firmly, closer to the tips of the fingers, too (no finger meat here.) As for the chords -- pluck the fretted note with your thumb, the first harmonic with your index finger, and the second harmonic with your middle finger.

Also, make sure your bridge pickup is up and you're not cutting ANY mids.