Portrait Of Tracy Help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, May 23, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey everyone, I just got "the essential Jaco Pastorius" book, and i'm trying to learn portrait of tracy. I've got most of it, just need pratice and all that. But i'm having alot of trouble with the one part.

It's the part thats in 11/8. He plays a C on the 8th fret then does the harmonic on the 7th and 5th frets of the G and D string. and messes around like that. How does he keep jumping back to the root notes inbetween harmonics?

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Play the root notes with your thumb and the harmonics with your index and middle finger, like a classical guitarist.

Hope this helps (good luck with the final chord!).
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    That method also helps a LOT for the first few chords -- you know, the Cmaj7 and Gmaj7 chords at the beginning.

+1 on the final chord ;) I still can't get it on any fretless I've played.
  4. i remember learning that one. kind of a pain to learn but once u get the patterns down you are set. i dont remember taking into affect any technique use, just practicing over and over again the parts that were the hardest. after a while u'll get it down. i remember the part where u switch the harmonics and hold the root, i think it was on the 7th and 9th fret, back and forth was tricky at first. i dont remember specifically, it was so long ago.

anyways, good luck. its an impressive piece.