Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Portrait of Tracy - what made Jaco write it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Not Mark Westlake, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Hey all,
    Not been here in a while! Anyway, a pressing music coursework deadline is looming...

Tomorrow (Friday) I have to perform 12 minutes worth of material, and do a talk on one of the pieces for a minimum of 5 minutes. My "featured piece" that I have to talk about is going to be Portrait of Tracy. Basically, I know I'm going to talk about the technical side of it (difficulty of playing harmonics, artificial harmonics, getting the over-all volume right between 'real' and harmonic notes in chords, etc.), the Jaco Pastorius biography side of it, the "Why I dig the chaaaaawn" side of it, BUT - I don't know 'why' it was written. I know it sounds like a stupid question, and that pieces are usually inspired, but who IS the "Tracy" in the title? I seem to remember having read that it was written about someone he knew, something like his wife or something? :meh: Not 100% sure about that, so anyone who's got any idea - any help would be much appreciated!

Sorry if it's in the wrong forum, like I said - I've been away for a while, so I'm no fully au fait with it all :)

Mark.

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    http://jacop.net/story_oriole.html

3. Whoa! Thanks a lot :) Just to double check - was Jaco married to Tracy?

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    No, his wife was Ingrid actually, I still dont know who Tracy was, Im looking though hehe.

5. Thanks a lot :) I'm guessing just an acquantaince of some kind.

If you've got something else better to do, don't worry about it - I don't really need specific dates or anything :)

Thanks again, it's been super useful.

Mark

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  7. Thanks very much Juneau, it really is much appreciated.

Fortunately too, the splinter I picked up in my left index finger doesn't actually stop me fretting, so here's to tomorrow going OK...

Thanks again, hope I can help you out some day...

Mark

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Eh, was bored at work, and like using my google skills for the benifit of all lol. Not to mention, I was curious myself after you asked, so I learned something too :)

Glad to be of assistance!

9. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    " john and mary " another jaco penned tune , were his kids with tracy. i think the kids are on the actual recording , reading their history homework and messing around .