Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

portrait of tracy

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mini-me, Jan 4, 2006.

1. mini-me

mini-me

Jan 4, 2006
  2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I really liked the tone. Overall speaking, you nailed the song, but there's a big flaw: The tempo. Why do you think that PoT should be played that fast? IMO, anyone who plays this should do it calmly, giving time to taste such a beautiful composition. Slow it down and you'll have a great version.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I agree. Slow it down man. PoT is the kind of song you don't just play, you feel the song, and you make love to it. You can't fly through it. Played properly, I can definately see people tearing. It really is a goregous song, and just feel it man.

And work on the last chord. haha But, we all need to work on that.

-Mark

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

In fact, I think that not even Jaco could nail it properly every time he tried to play it. If you listen carefully to the studio recording, you'll notice that when the time for the chord comes, everything (volume, compression, effects, whatever you like to call it) is turned up. I think that one of the keys to get this chord properly is not trying to get the hell out of your bass (big hands help, of course).

5. According to Bob Bobbing (who posts over at the Jaco.com forum), even Jaco recorded the highest note of that chord seperately and mixed it in later. Think about it, have you ever seen or heard Jaco play that last chord live? Every live version of that song I've heard, he leaves that chord out and plays some dstorted madness, or goes into some Onkonkole Y Trompa, or continues with a medley.
    I'm not putting down Jaco of course. He was writing music so good that even he couldn't play it, that's not a bad thing.

6. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

He plays it on Modern Electric Bass...Explains it, too.

True dat...It's a sad thing.

7. Yea he plays it on MEB, but not that good if I remember correctly. He had trouble with the 2/6 A-string harmonic too which even I can do pretty easily. But as he said himself on the DVD, he was outta shape then.

8. darkblack99

The chord content is all there, but he changes the phrasing from the studio version, omitting the first two root E's...Sonically, it makes a case for the multitracking theory, getting a better result from a sum of tracks through isolation.

And he does miss the D# flageolet tone on the first pass when Jerry Jemmott asks him about harmonics, true. He nails it later, when specifically asked about the song itself.

'Outta shape, man!'

;)

9. mini-me

mini-me

Jan 4, 2006
    thank you all for your posts
    all of you are right tempo is too fast i think that's because i haven't listened to the original version for a long time only the live versions which he plays it very fast
    and for the last chord actually i can do it like the original but not all the time (especially 5:30 in the morning :) ) and he uses a bit of effects there i managed to have the same sound with a bit of compression and delay or chorus
    and as you can see i have small hands :)

10. darkblack99

Yeah, on 8:30 he just 'blurs' through the intro on his way elsewhere. Throws a clam at the start of it too, IIRC.

You, you're doing good...all the notes are there...Now, make it breathe.

11. mini-me

mini-me

Jan 4, 2006
    thanks i'll do so :)

12. J Q F

J Q F Guest

Dec 23, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    Well done man! I think you did a very good job :D . I wish you got a better cam angle so I could see what the other hand was doing. O well can't please every one ha ha. Keep up!

J Q F
    www.mp3.com.au/jimmyquickfingers

13. mini-me

mini-me

Jan 4, 2006
    thanks man
    yeah my cam sucks :mad: