Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

POS bass--fretless and new finish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by viper jazz, May 5, 2004.

1. viper jazz

viper jazz Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    OK, I've spent some time searching the forums, as I have a TERRIBLE Ibanez bass (seems to be made for metal or something) that I needed to do something with. I've decided to pull the frets, sand the body, and make a mutated freak.

I removed the frets last night, w/ rosewood fretboard chips galore. I don't really care, as I'm going to sand the entire thing. The only issue is that I don't want fret markers, as I'm going to use the bass to experiment w/ Just Intonation, so traditional fret markers are no good for me. Any suggestions as to how to get a solid color once I sand off the markers?

Also, the body is a nasty high-gloss black. Is there a good way to sand off the finish other than taking a belt sander to it?

I know that these are somewhat drastic measures, but I don't have much invested in the bass at all. I want a tool to experiment w/ Just Intonation, and while I'm sanding the fretboard, I figure I can mess w/ the body, too. Thanks!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What model bass? Chances are it's made of Basswood, probably won't look too good. Might want to think about leaving the finish ;)

The markers are imbedded. You will never be able to get a solid color unless you get a new fingerboard. If you pull them out, you will have holes where they were. Fill 'em in with something and still have the wrong color.

3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    There is a thread entitled yamaha refinishing project that should give you some answers. Just type "Myung strip" into the search engine.
    Good Luck

4. viper jazz

viper jazz Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    I actually looked at that thread earlier--the only thing is that this body isn't stained/painted wood--it's a solid coat of glossy black.