Positive affects of gunking up your strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassAche, Sep 10, 2003.

1. BassAche

May 1, 2003
    So let's see...I got a new set of strings. They are too light for my tastes, and I'm wondering if I can do anything about it. (Buying new strings isn't an option) They also sound a bit too 'metallic'
    I've been expecting them to break in...It's been about 2 1/2 weeks now, no luck.

So, I'm wondering, has anyone tried or heard of doing something such as applying thin layers of vaseline or oil to your strings? Will it dull the sound a bit and put alittle weight? Or will it just disengage the coils, rendering the strings useless?

Any feedback is appreciated.
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Being too light is something you'll have to put down to experience. As far as having too much zing... I think just playing a lot would be better than trying to artificially gunk them up because otherwise you'll still have to get new strings again before too long and you might get the gunk all over the rest of the bass as well.

3. You could try and strech them a little. Overstretching makes the string less elastic and thus it produces less harmonics. I ruined quite some G-strings after popping them too much and too hard...

Do give flats a try though, to me 'quick-aging' your roundwounds just sounds... wrong.

Oh, I just thought of something: you could always put your old set back on again. That is, if you still have it of course.
  4. BassAche

May 1, 2003
    Thanks all. I appreciate the info.

The reason I can't get new strings is because I spent all my money on my last set. I do have my old bass strings, but the E is broken (Can you believe it??)
    Plus my old strings are different guage than my new ones, so no matter what, they'll sound weird.
  5. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    try plucking the strings really hard if your practising for an hour or so it'll sound crap while your playing but it might make them sound better when you go back to playing normally. Personally i love the crisp sound of a new set of strings......
  6. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    forogt to mention, mabye turn the treble down on your amp and boost the low mids....
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The metallicness usually goes away as you use em, at least in my experience with my strings.
  8. gunking up strings....gives it a cool, funky dead sound..boom!
  9. if you sweat a lot your strings will go dead quickly.

maybe play along to your favourite metal albums while wearing a heavy sweater? :D
  10. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I know some guys that take vaseline jelly and slathers it on flatwounds then wipes it off. it's like imitating years of sweat and grime in five minutes.

you can get that low down thud tone like Jamerson and Duck Dunn with new strings.

This is definitely not for everyone. Don't do it unless you're looking for that dead string tone.
  11. BassAche

May 1, 2003
    I'm also wondering, can I do anything for them to put on alittle weight?

Maybe I should ask my girlfriend for some tips :p :oops: