Positive drummer gig story

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TVD, Nov 16, 2004.

1. TVD

Jul 14, 2004
    I read so many about so many complaints about drummers on this site, and i've had some bad experiences with drummers myself, but i thought i'd give the drummer for one of the bands i play for some major props here to show they aren't "all" bad...lol jk
    We were playing an outdoor festival in Mobile, Alabama a few weeks ago. I often open the shows and sing a few songs before introducing the artist, and that was the case on this show. I was on my last song when all of a sudden the drums started sounding real weird to me, almost sounded like an Indian beat or something. The song ended, and he told me to kill time, which isn't easy to do in that spot, but he was down working on the kick pedal. He finally says ok, and i intro the artist, and about 10 seconds in, the drums started sounding weird to me again, so his fix didn't work. I should say this wasn't his drum kit, but the kick pedal on the kit he used was brand new. As it turns out some screw came out of it, and the whole thing fell apart on him, just some freak thing he said. But what he started doing, and did for the rest of the show for over an hour, was he started hitting the kick drum with one of his sticks in an underhand windmill sort of motion with his arm. He was beating the crap out of it, he didn't sound the same as usual, but it didn't sound bad either. His arm/shoulder was really killing him by the end. He couldn't have done too bad at it, the guitar player and keyboard player never even noticed anything was wrong. Go figure eh. I kept looking back at him and about half laughing all show, but he did a great job of thinking on his feet in a crisis and getting thru it. After the show was over, i talk to the crowd again, tell them about the concession table etc, and i told the crowd to give the drummer a hand for getting thru the show after an equipment malfunction. He said he was gonna "kill me" for saying that, cuz you should never let 'em see you sweat. But i said Hell, you didn't sweat, you did a great job getting thru it, and it got a good hand from the crowd when i said it too. The end. Trent
  2. nice one! theres nothing better than a happy ending ;)
    much respect to the drummer. i once played a gig with a drummer who forgot his hi hats so instead he used a cowbell....

that was fun.....clunk

neil :)
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    great story, great drummer.
    i love good drummers. i've been very fortunate to mostly work with very talented ones and woud lock them all in my basement if i could.
  4. LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    good drummers are possibly the best musical thing in the world. I just love the feeling of a funky latin beat as i play a latin bass line. and when they improvise with the imroviser, but keep the rythm. I know a great drummer who has a studio, but its hard to keep in touch with him.

cowbells rule
  5. wow.. thats great.. a lot of drummers (and other musicians) could learn alot from your drummers can-do attitude..

but i still need more cowbell baby!
  6. LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    amazing saturday nite live skit, funny as hell