Positive Grid announce new BIAS Mini Bass head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plastalmonus, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Just saw on my news feed that Positive Grid have announced a 600w BIAS Mini Bass head. From what I can see it has Speaker Out, Line Out, FX Out and Headphone Out. Also 8 selectable user presets with a 3 band eq, gain and master.

Looks like a good step between running a digital FOH rig like the Helix and a traditional amp/speaker rig.

I'm pretty intrigued.

amp-bass.png
    Summer NAMM - Introducing New BIAS Amps and Pedals - Positive Grid

seamonkey and jimfist like this.
  2. BillySid

BillySid Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Weatherford, TX
    I absolutely dig Bias and Bias FX Blueline (Ampeg VR sims) and they sound fantastic. I've always wanted to get this into a live setup and this just might be that ticket.

3. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    Interesting.
    These features are identical to the pedals. Theoretically, it should be able to sound like any amp. They also have a guitar version.
    • Amp Presets: Come with 8 default presets and able to import new ones with BIAS Amp app
    • MIDI in function for more flexible controls
    • Remote wirelessly via Bluetooth
    • Comes with Amp Match® technology, which let you precisely match the nuanced tone of any classic, modern or boutique amp. And load custom cab and mic responses
    • Share and download thousands of presets from ToneCloud
    • Fully customizable, easily create amp models with Amp Design feature. Infinite possibilities of tone.

4. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Looks pretty sweet! Never used nor heard their stuff.. I wonder what the price point will be on these?

5. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Ahhhhh....THIS is what I've been looking for! A bass amp that has versatile modeling and speaker emulation, designed (I presume) to be used with full range cabinets and/or DI out to mixing desk. Very, very interested in this. Any idea what retail will be on this puppy?

@BillySid do you find that there is a lot of versatility in the types of amp models offered in the Bias VR sims? I go all over the map, from classic R&B, classic Rock, all types of hard rock and metal. Everything from clanky/metallic to wooly/overdriven to ultra-clean tones. Any thoughts?

6. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I feel like I'm experiencing that one scene from Star Wars. "The circle is now complete...".

Didn't these guys start out making software simulated pedals,amps,etc. Now I'm seeing a physical piece of hardware.

Not sayin' it ain't cool as all giddyup, but couldn't help notice...

7. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    Yes they did start with software. The hardware pedals have been shipping for several months with the distortion pedal being the first. I will buy the guitar amp for my studio; I have already tried out the pedal; wait and see on the bass amp.

Wfrance3 likes this.
  8. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I'm concerned about stability for live use. I've had problems with the BIAS software's glitches. And PremierGuitar.com's review of the BIAS Rack noted that the software side was crash prone and that the amp-match function didn't work. Amp-match isn't some deep feature, where glitchiness would be a minor annoyance; it's one of the unit's central selling points. (From the PG review: Positive Grid CEO Calvin Abel says, “We are aware our current Amp Match user interface experience is not ideal,” adding that the company will release improved software in the very near future.)

I think the BIAS emulations sound very good, when they work. But the company seems at this stage to still release products based on software that is far from bulletproof. That's a self-defeating business model for stage gear. If the bass version of their hardware amps turn the corner in terms of reliability, I'll definitely be interested once it proves itself in the field.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  9. BillySid

BillySid Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Weatherford, TX
    @jimfist Yes absolutely you can get very versatile. I use one of the bias Bluetooth pedals and switch through different amps and tones quick with the push of the button. There are bassman, Ampeg, orange, GK etc sims. Sansamp sims too and many more pedal combinations, cabs and all. R&b to classic rock to metal and all in between.

jimfist likes this.
  10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Positive Grid has fantastic plug ins
    And they look to have created a piece of hardware where they can bring their great technology to more musicians.
    It also seems to have a "clone" capability to sample other amps and archive their tonality.

11. Woolber

Woolber Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Canada
    Check out Markbass Bass Multiamp S

jimfist likes this.
  12. Eddie M

Eddie M

Jan 5, 2018
    Gulf Shores AL
    It is 16 sound so it much be a pull out knob 8 and 8 here is the video on it.
    Includes software for making your own. It is only 300 watts.

13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    "Only 300w"
    LOL :) Just seems funny as with the right cabs - that's a lot of power!

It's really a pre-amp with a small utility amplifier inside should you need it for on stage monitoring. When you need big power plug into FOH.

The new BIAS Amp 2 software also has a learn/profile mode.

These products are great!

14. Eddie M

Eddie M

Jan 5, 2018
    Gulf Shores AL
    It seems that all the 300-watt lite weight D amps are underpowered VS older large amps. So based on other amps this may not be very loud on stage. It seems like 500 watts for a D amp is about right.
    With two 8 ohm cabs 150 watts into each one is not much when each cab is a 300 to 400 watt cab.

15. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Not really. There no general rule that lightweight has anything to do with actual power. Little lightweight class-d amps are blowing the old heavy inefficient designs off the stage. Although amp makers aren't going by any standards, and very few ever did. The weight has nothing to do with power to the cones. Cone area can have a huge impact loudness. Some makers are going to overrate their amps to make a sale. It doesn't last long when people figure out the stretching of truth. That said, I'm giving Positive Grid the benefit of the doubt that they aren't overrating their power.

16. bkbass2000

bkbass2000 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Asheville NC
    This looks pretty awesome to me. I will be watching for more info. If this thing does what they say it will do it would be awesome for recording AND on a gig. These days I am interested in the most features and flexibility I can get. With all the different amp/tube configurations plus cab sim IR and differing mic placements, this looks like the future.

17. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    So, has anyone tried one yet? I see they are available, but haven’t seen any user reviews.

18. I used one at a guitar show recently and was extremely impressed.

Really big sounding through even an 8ohm 4x10 and handled a 5 string perfectly.

I only loaded up a couple of profiles and to be honest couldn't tell the difference between them all that much however it was kind of noisy.

The Orange AD200 sounded pretty solid.

19. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    For $798 they're going to have more than 300 watts for this amp to be attractive.

BrentSimons and jnewmark like this.
  20. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    IMHO - Positive grid needs to do a much better job explaining the real value here.
    Looks like some are reading power rating, stopping there and using that to gauge the value.
    Well in history there are other many "300w" heads that sell for much more, so the value is not about the "power" but about the if the sound fits what the bass player is looking for. This head does it all and more as far as sound goes. Positive grid needs to communicate that. Or just shove in a high power class-d amp module and up the printed rating so people actually try the amp out.

They also need to provide a professional level warranty and stand behind it with support and service. 1-year factory warranty does not show confidence in their own product.

Mugwump and agedhorse like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021