Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possibl nut "shim" question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fourstringdrums, Aug 11, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    On the nut of my Read Model P I noticed that instead of the bottom of the nut being glued into the bottom of the nut slot, there is a piece of rosewood (same as the FB), the same length and width of the nut and about the height of a match stick glued to the bottom of the nut. Then the nut is glued into place (actually the nut isn't glued into well so I have to reglue it. It fits tight anyway, but that's beside the point). Is there a reason why the nut may have been put in this way? The nut is bone, if that makes any difference.

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    The blank was probably just too short to use without a shim. I've had to do this with nuts before. I've used brass and aluminum as shims as well.

3. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Oh that may explain it. I figured that he may have cut it too short to begin with, but then I thought "then why didn't he start over with a new blank".

4. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    The nut is glued in with just a little glue to make removal easier. As long as it fits well in the slot, don't bother gluing it in "well" ; just a couple drops of elmers glue to hold it in place will do. If you overdo it, you'll have trouble getting it out again (which will almost certainly have to be done) and could damage your fretboard in the process.:meh:

5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'm probably not even going to bother gluing it. When I take off the strings it fits in snug enough that it doesn't actually fall out, I have to pull it out myself.