Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

*possible 8-String Conversion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sergio, May 13, 2004.

1. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    Hi all! This summer I was planing on buying a new bass, but I already have 2 fretted 4-strings.(A 92' MIM P-Bass and an Ibanez GSR200) I was planning on getting some thing al little different as my new bass, like a multi-stringed bass or a fretless. I just recently considered building a bass since, after all, I would like to pursue a career in luthiership and figured that would give me some idea of whether or not I really want to do this. I was looking at Warmoth parts today and came across their 8-string conversion neck. Now, I added up the price of all the specs a would want in an 8-string, and it was out of my price range of $800 and under. So then i cosidered actually doing a "conversion" on my GSR200. But, problem is that I'd need to modify the neck pocket on the GSR to fit the Warmoth neck. I could just convert my Fender, but that bass has alot of sentimental value and I wouldn't dare modify it.

But, heres my question (finally!): What would I have to do in order to modify the neck pocket on my GSR? Would it have to be bigger or smaller? (It's too late at night to do the math! :p ) And, how much would such a modification cost? I wouldn't want to do this all by myself, seeing as how i wouln't want to potentially ruin my bass.

P.S.: By the way, I mean an 8-string with octave pairs.

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Why not just ask Warmoth to make you a neck to fit your bass, instead of modifying something that already works. That way if you don't like it or wont to sell the bass down the road, or get tired of the bass but like the neck it's revisable.

Also, a little advice from some one that has built an 8-string bass; use guitar tuners for the octave strings and look into Hipshot's ultralight bass tuners to lighten up the headstock, otherwise the bass WILL be top heavy.

3. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    Well, from what I gather Warmoth doesn't do custom stuff like that, but I may be wrong. I'll ask them.

Oh, and about the tuners, I knew that already. The tuners are one of the main reasons I can't afford to build one fromm scratch.

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    You are correct. Warmoth will not build a custom neck of that type. I have seen bridges that convert a 4 string to an 8 string. It had the other 4 tuners at the bridge and the string eyelet (for the additional 4 strings) hooked on a special nut (supplied with the conversion kit). I'm not sure if it's still in production. If I can find any info on it I'll post it.

5. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    Thanks, I 've seen a few BC Riches with that kind of configuration, thought it looked interesting.

Now that I think about it though, it would be a pretty big risk to have the neck pocket modified. Plus, with a conversion bridge, I won't have to look at that ugly 8-string headstock either. :D

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    just get a cheapo P or J body off ebay or something, the Warmoth neck will fit any standard Fender ones, the knockoffs are a different matter though. +1 to the guitar tuner thing.