Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible 8-string idea

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The 0x, Jun 10, 2005.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'm thinking about saving up to get a custom Warmoth 8-string built, and have the walnut body carved by Carver Doug in a spiderweb design, similar to JE's famous exploiter basses (i'm too lazy to look up the pics right now, you all should know what it looks like by now :p ), except all across the body, maybe with a small spider carved on the small wing. And get this, i'd want it with LIPSTICK JAZZ PICKUPS:eek: from WD Music!!! I know I hate jazz basses, but they sound pretty good when they're in series, so i'll get it permanately wired in series. Add an Aguilar OPB-3, so there'd only be 4 controls (vol, bass, mid, treble) plus the lil toggle switch for the mids. And in the end, use a Warmoth 8-string bass neck. So in the end, it'd look something sorta like in the attachment (i know, it's crappy quality, it's just to give an idea).

[​IMG]

Does that headstock work with that body? Because i'd rather have it in a V-peghead. I wonder if they'll do that custom? :confused: :help:

P.S. This won't happen til next year, if it even happens. I'm on his waiting list, and he won't be able to do it for me til January anyways.

Attached Files:

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Looks like an extreme neck-dive beast with that gigantic headstock and Explorer body.

3. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    That headstock really doesn't match that body. That's the only question I can answer though. :meh:

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    IMHO, I don't like the headstock. I'd go with a 4 key headstock and mount the other 4 tuners below the bridge like this:

[​IMG]

5. See, BC Rich CAN make products that are actually cool!

amazed!
    ~Ryan

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    IMO mounting the other 4 tuners past the bridge only works/looks good on the Bich, and a Bich without the extra tuners there looks like its missing something.

I don't think the headstock is terrible, but prefer alternating large/small tuners for fundamental and octave strings. A little lighter too. I do think dots on the neck would look terrible. I always hate them, so you may not agree.

I knew someone had an 8 string made with a Warmoth 8 string bolt on neck. Warped into unplayability. The job was done be a reputable luthier known for building his own instruments. This person ended up sawing a section out of the body to fit it as body wings to a Carvin 5 string neck (bought with the headstock undrilled), himself. Filed a nut, used large/small tuners, and made his own neck through 8 string.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'm gonna email them and see if they'd do a V-style headstock for the 8-string neck.

8. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma

ask them if they'll do a 4 V too. i have an explorer body from warmoth and none of their headstocks (imo) look good on it.