Possible 8-string idea

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The 0x, Jun 10, 2005.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'm thinking about saving up to get a custom Warmoth 8-string built, and have the walnut body carved by Carver Doug in a spiderweb design, similar to JE's famous exploiter basses (i'm too lazy to look up the pics right now, you all should know what it looks like by now :p ), except all across the body, maybe with a small spider carved on the small wing. And get this, i'd want it with LIPSTICK JAZZ PICKUPS:eek: from WD Music!!! I know I hate jazz basses, but they sound pretty good when they're in series, so i'll get it permanately wired in series. Add an Aguilar OPB-3, so there'd only be 4 controls (vol, bass, mid, treble) plus the lil toggle switch for the mids. And in the end, use a Warmoth 8-string bass neck. So in the end, it'd look something sorta like in the attachment (i know, it's crappy quality, it's just to give an idea).

Does that headstock work with that body? Because i'd rather have it in a V-peghead. I wonder if they'll do that custom? :confused: :help:

P.S. This won't happen til next year, if it even happens. I'm on his waiting list, and he won't be able to do it for me til January anyways.

Attached Files:

2. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Looks like an extreme neck-dive beast with that gigantic headstock and Explorer body.
  3. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    That headstock really doesn't match that body. That's the only question I can answer though. :meh:
  4. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    IMHO, I don't like the headstock. I'd go with a 4 key headstock and mount the other 4 tuners below the bridge like this:

5. See, BC Rich CAN make products that are actually cool!

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    IMO mounting the other 4 tuners past the bridge only works/looks good on the Bich, and a Bich without the extra tuners there looks like its missing something.

I don't think the headstock is terrible, but prefer alternating large/small tuners for fundamental and octave strings. A little lighter too. I do think dots on the neck would look terrible. I always hate them, so you may not agree.

I knew someone had an 8 string made with a Warmoth 8 string bolt on neck. Warped into unplayability. The job was done be a reputable luthier known for building his own instruments. This person ended up sawing a section out of the body to fit it as body wings to a Carvin 5 string neck (bought with the headstock undrilled), himself. Filed a nut, used large/small tuners, and made his own neck through 8 string.
  7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'm gonna email them and see if they'd do a V-style headstock for the 8-string neck.
  8. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma

ask them if they'll do a 4 V too. i have an explorer body from warmoth and none of their headstocks (imo) look good on it.