1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

possible 8-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB, Mar 5, 2001.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am starting to think about getting an 8 string bass (probably the Dean Rhapsody 8 8-String Bass ) and I wanted to know people's opinions on them. How different is the sound from a regular 4 string? how about ease of play? Do you play it more with a pick or fingers to get the best full sound out of the string pair? Is the Dean a decent (though cheap at ~$550) version of an 8-string? any info is appriciated.

-KB

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I don't know how the Deans are built but it's traditional to play a bass like this by hitting the high string of a pair first. If you're gonna play it with a pick, you'd want the high string further from the floor. I think that's how most of these basses (and 12-string guitars) are set up. If you play fingerstyle, though, you'd want the higher string CLOSER to the floor so your finger would hit it first.

I suppose the bass you buy kind of dictates how it wants to be played. Of course, there's nothing wrong with playing "off-standard", but I do remember reading about a studio character in new York who had to custom-order an 8-string built with the high string closer to the floor because he was planning to play it primarily fingerstyle and wanted to hit the high string first.

3. I got one and I'm looking to sell... I liked it a lot but... it doesn't blend with my band at all. I do a lot of unison lines and it just sounds wierd when you play fast runs. I don't know if you really want to hit the high string first like ELi was saying. on the Dean the bass is string is closer to the floor. I like playing it that way better because it sounds more like a bass than a guitar with a bass string. It's a fun bass. I have a thread about it. somewhere. If you got more questions, fire.