1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

possible Acme upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dsidab81, Apr 19, 2006.

1. dsidab81

dsidab81

Feb 29, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    I have an Acme B-2....great sounding cab in my opinion. The major flaw I see is it's lack of volume for being so power hungry. Anyone out there experimented with a higher efficiency set of 10's? Up until now it was only used to monitor while I recorded....but the warm weather bug has bit and I'd like a nice portable rig for the front porch.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    To get more sensitivity in a portable rig, you have to give up low end. Once you do that, then your options are really wide open, and probably include some mid sized 12" and 15" systems. Or, one of billfitzmaurice's horns might do the trick.

3. dsidab81

dsidab81

Feb 29, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    I'm fine with giving up some low end....could always mate with a single 15. I was more or less posting to find out about prior experiences with various speaker types.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    How loud do you need? With 900W behind it my Low-B2 will go LOUD. 50Hz high-pass filtering helps get more volume and control excursion. Turning down the bass slightly will get you even more volume.

Alex

5. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    With Acmes it's all in the EQ settings. Try boosting your mids aggressively at about 500 - 800 Hz and rolling off some of those lows and you'll be surprised at how much more sound you will have. Nontraditional EQing will get you very, very far with Acmes.

Lonnybass

6. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I'd be wary of loading an Acme cab with drivers other than the proprietary customs that Andy Lewis uses. My understanding is that the box is a complete "system", and changing any one of the parameters of the system will throw things "out-of-whack".

7. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    +100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'll add one more +1 to that very large number:)

If you can't get the Acme210 louder using some of the excellentsuggestions above, you should probably just check out some of the more 'traditional', more efficient 210 cabs out there like Epifani210UL, BergHT210S, EANL210, etc. IMO

9. dsidab81

dsidab81

Feb 29, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    Sorry about the delayed response. As far my usage with the GK...i've only got the 8 ohm version of the acme so I'm not putting the head's full wattage through it. Which might be excessive depending on how conservative Acme's ratings are. I keep my eq fairly flat with a notch or two of boost in the low and high mids. I keep my woofer volume at about 3/4 full most of the time and use the pre volume for adjustments. Obviously it's a low efficiency cab and I shouldn't expect it to really pump out the volume in a more open spaces.

10. dsidab81

dsidab81

Feb 29, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    Oh yeah, thanks for the advice on not updating drivers probably would do more harm than good. I think I might just go pick up a cheap used 2x10 for the summer.

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Ah, not a huge amount of power from the GK. If you want to go really loud without changing your amp, pick up another 8 ohm B2. A pair is far far louder than just the one cab. I mean WAY louder.

Then again, 700-1000W into a B2 will blow down walls. Unfortunately, as with all bass cabs, the lack of boundary reinforcement and/or room gain really hits the apparent SPL outdoors.

Alex

12. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    +1 on the "outdoors effect"... but then again, you'd expect a well-planned (emphasis on the "well-planned"...) outdoor gig to reap the sonic benefits of suitable PA reinforcement.

Then all you'd have to consider is if the bass rig is loud enough to serve as a "personal monitoring device"!:smug:

13. ptidwell

ptidwell Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I am using a DB750 with a pair of B2's and they get plenty loud in fact the B2's can't quite handle it all. However I am looking at a Schroeder 1212-1210 stack with this amp.

14. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    You'd definately be getting even more volume and punch from that Schoeder setup.

Sounds like a good rig with either the Acmes or the Schoeders.