Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible blown amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by razorbakc, Apr 23, 2004.

1. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    Ok, I've had my Ampeg 8x10 for probably a little less than 2 months. I've been playing through a B2R and just got a Crown XLS 402 power amp the other day This gives me close to 750 watts. It sounded amazing and full, the exact tone that I wanted, and I never turned it up more that 3/4. Today I turn it on and I've got it about 1/2 way up and all of a sudden theres a fuzzy crackling noise. I mess around with some stuff and it continues everytime I play a note, I even checked all the chords. No matter what I do, theres still that crackling. Is this what happens when the speakers blow?
    What do I do now? It should be under warranty, but I don't know how I would go about getting it fixed.

2. How do you have the Ampeg and the Crown hooked up?

3. wiggle every chord, it could be a bad jack somewhere

4. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    I've got the balanced out from the b2r going into the input of the crown and then the output of channel 1 on the crown into the cab.

5. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    Alright, now it stopped, I am confused.

6. You most likely have either a loose or faulty jack somewhere; or a faulty cable somwhere....hopefully you had good quality speaker cables to begin with.
    Good luck!