1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Possible blown amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by razorbakc, Apr 23, 2004.

1. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    Ok, I've had my Ampeg 8x10 for probably a little less than 2 months. I've been playing through a B2R and just got a Crown XLS 402 power amp the other day This gives me close to 750 watts. It sounded amazing and full, the exact tone that I wanted, and I never turned it up more that 3/4. Today I turn it on and I've got it about 1/2 way up and all of a sudden theres a fuzzy crackling noise. I mess around with some stuff and it continues everytime I play a note, I even checked all the chords. No matter what I do, theres still that crackling. Is this what happens when the speakers blow?
    What do I do now? It should be under warranty, but I don't know how I would go about getting it fixed.

2. How do you have the Ampeg and the Crown hooked up?

3. wiggle every chord, it could be a bad jack somewhere

4. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    I've got the balanced out from the b2r going into the input of the crown and then the output of channel 1 on the crown into the cab.

5. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    Alright, now it stopped, I am confused.

6. You most likely have either a loose or faulty jack somewhere; or a faulty cable somwhere....hopefully you had good quality speaker cables to begin with.
    Good luck!