Possible bulding a small light to give you are warning?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by semborg, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Is it possible to build a little lamp that lights when your batteries has like 2 hours more playing time?

Or can a small lamp that always is on warn you? (you see that it is weak)
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Great point!

FWIW, on my Sadowsky foot pedal pre-amp, there is a low batt indicator....if they can put it in the pedal (sounds great), i'm sure someone should be able to wire up something on board...

3. Anyone has experience with this?
  4. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I'm actually working with someone to create a bass friendly installation kit for one of these. Looking at two different modes: new bass installation and used bass retrofit.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The problem is that the LED will consume more power than the preamp, greatly reducing the battery life. A lamp would be worse than a LED.

One way I could see it working is with some sort of test switch so it wouldn't be on all the time. Or you will have to live with reduced battery life for the security of knowing when the battery is in bad shape.
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I cannot remember where I saw it on here, but someone built a volt meter into their contol cavity cover on the back of the bass. Anyone remember that?
  7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No, but that was one of my ideas! Put it on the back so it dosen't show. But I thought that nobody would go for it....

Note thought that the voltmeter will also draw power. You cannot get something for nothing.
  8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    My Aria Pro II SB-1000 has a battery check meter, the led flashes more frequently as power drains down.
    Mind you, they put that in partly because it takes 2 9v batteries and is very thirsty with the power.
  9. utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    a LED usually takes 3v. maybe you could wire the led exclusive to 2 AA type batteries.
  10. Sure, but if the LED gets weak, is it from the 2 AA batteries powering it, or is it that the battery it's measuring is getting weak?

11. tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC

The patented LoBat© low battery indicator circuit from Precision Music Technologies is specifically designed for use with pickups and electronics from EMG, Bartolini, Seymour Duncan and others that use 9 volt batteries. Mini LED indicator lights when battery voltage is below 7.7V. This early warning notifies the player it's time for a new battery days BEFORE tone begins to suffer! Ultra low current LED circuit allows the instrument to still be used for an extended period of time with the indicator lit (usually several days) if the battery can not be replaced immediately.
    * Micro size circuit is less than 3/4 inch square - mounts anywhere.
    * Mini LED indicator lights when voltage is nominal (below 7.7V) BEFORE tone starts to suffer.
    * Ultra low current draw of less than four micro amps - will not reduce battery life.
    * Can be used with single battery 9 Volt systems or dual battery 18 Volt systems.
    * Simple Installation- LED presses into 3mm hole (7/64"). Circuit is secured with included mounting tape.
    * Never get caught "live" with a "dead" battery or waste good one ever again!

12. Thank you VERY much!
  13. tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    if you put one in let us know...i'm interested in hearing your experiences
  14. Is a low battery light really worth the trouble? Generally speaking when the battery starts getting flat the sound starts getting muddy and "gritty" because the signal starts to clip (generally on the higher frequencies first...hence the "mud").

Then you say...OK, time to change...you finish your set and change your battery...

Other solution...check your battery with a VOM before your set... if it's not high enough...change it out...

sometimes all the technology that we have at our disposal is not really practical...for a good lesson in this have a look at golf gear....Oh My Goodness!