Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible cab-trade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Berten, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Hi,

I play through a hartke 3500 head with a 410 and 115 transporter cab.
    I'm not very pleased with the sound of the 115 and a friend of mine suggested to trade the 115-cab with his peavey 410 (don't know which one........)

Good idea or not?? What would you guys do??

2. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I cant comment on older Peavey cabs, but if it's the newer line... I'm assuming the 410 TVX, i LOVE the thing. I'd say trade, do it now. The only drawback is it's heavy and big. 97 pounds. A two person ordeal for most situations. But like i said, it sounds GREAT.

3. A lot of Peavey cabinets are 4 ohm cabinets while the Hartke cabinets are 8 ohm cabinets. The Hartke head is designed to drive 2-8 ohm cabinets (4 ohms total load). If you try to power an 8 ohm cabinet and a 4 ohm cabinet with the Hartke you will be pushing the amp too hard and you WILL have problems. If the Peavey cabinet is an 8 ohm cabinet, you'll be fine.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    oh yeah that's true, sorry I completely forgot about that. Figure out what cabinet it is exactly (model and ohms), then report back!

5. If your hartke head can run a 2 ohm load you WILL be able to run o 4 ohm and 8 ohm cab together. That comes to about 2.6 ohms combined. You will want to check thus out though, and you will want to see if one cab is louder than the other. The 4 ohm cab could be slightly louder unless it is less efficient. One way to find out!

6. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    I traded the peaveycab yesterday and tried it out today. It is an 8 ohm version, so I can run it without problems with my hartke transporter 410.

I like the sound. It's warmer than the hartke, more mids. The hartke has more bass IMO. I also like the tweeter, which makes the slaps and taps stand out more.

Still got 2 questions:
    1: is a tweeter always making such noise: if I turn the tweeterknob over 50%, the noise is horrible!
    2: the middle part (the sphere that comes to the front) of one of the speakers isn't formed like a perfect sphere anymore....is this a problem (I hope I explain it right: there not a hole or a crack in the speaker, it just looked like someone has pushed on it with one of his fingers....)

Thanks a lot!!

7. 1: The tweeter might make some high frequency hiss if you turn the attenuator, but if it's static then you've got a bum tweeter. (is it a horn or a tweeter? - probable a horn) Since you didn't have one on your hartke cabs, you may have been trying to dial in your EQ to compensate and add high-end. Re-check your EQ levels and adjust your treble side for the horn. If the noise is still there, have it checked out by a pro.

2: I'm pretty sure the middle part is the 'dust cap' and they get pushed in some times. Two ways to fix it, get yourself some Scotch tape, and use the tape to 'grip' the dent and slowly work it out. Scotch tape doesn't leave any residue and will be less likely to damage the fibers of the speaker. The other way is to use a vaccuum. Turn on the vaccuum, put the hole at the end of the hose on the dent and pull very lightly...sometimes that works too, but is really dangerous and you could pull your speaker apart. You could also take that to a tech and have him fix it and your horn/tweeter at the same time.

8. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    If it is just a dust cab, can't it stay like that? It's only pushed in a little bit!

9. It really won't affect what you hear, and it shouldn't cause any real damage to the speaker. But, its shape is changed, and shape of the speaker does have an affect on the sound. The shape of the cone and cap makes a sound wave in a certain shape and direction. A dented cap distorts or disrupts that shape. The wavelength will be the same (and so will the pitch of the note), so only optical spectrometers and flux capicators or maybe even dilomectric transmodulators could tell any real difference to the sound.

10. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    i was kinda hoping you would get a 4ohm and try it out, so you can tell me how the 3500 holds up to a 2.6ohm load.

11. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    its the dust cover and it won't affect the sound if it's dented. if your cab is the more recent (tvx) models you have a foster tweeter. they are a little noisy at full bore but you really don't want to run them that way cause that's the easiest way to blow them. set them a little below 50% and use your e.q. if you do blow one a replacement diaphram is about $30 or something

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hartke 3500 at 2.6 ohms? That would be un-intelligent.

In other words, do NOT do it.

-Mike