Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible custom design, opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Aug 18, 2002.

1. I took the body style of the Buzzard and altered it somewhat. I added a longer upper horn, and shaved off a portion of the body. I also changed the headstock.

I'm kicking around a few designs, most are pretty basic. I decided I want to build a bass that will stick out and not look just like everything else.

[​IMG]

The pick up config is a reverse P at the neck, and a humbucker at the bridge. Controls are VVTT and a strat style jack.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

This lower pike will rip your leg each time you'll sit for playing.

3. This thing would be headstock heavy as hell

4. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i like the headstock. But the body has a "bcrich impracticality" issue.

good luck with it tho man...glad to see someones trying out something a bit different.

:)

5. Thanks for the input so far.

I'm still kicking around the shape, and need to make some adjustments. I've got about three or four designs made up that are variations of the one posted above.

Here is the Buzzard that the idea spawned from.

[​IMG]

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    That's a JP bass!
    Almost, anyway.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I don't know. The upper horn extends pretty far forward. Depending on placement of the strap pin, it could be as far forward as the 12th fret, which IMO would offer pretty good balance when playing with a strap.

8. Phat is exactly right. That is what I was going for. It is high and long, bringing the center of balacne up. One other reason it looks lke it might be head heavy, is the neck in the pic is a 26 fret, where mine is a 21 fret.

9. If the E and G string tuning pegs stick out towards the fretboard, BEWARE! Those could catch you on slides or when you play low. I know I have:rolleyes: . That upper pike might get in your way when you play above the 12th fret. The lower pike will tear your leg up. Maybe you could just make it a little longer.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    make the bottom half of the body as wide as, or wider than, the top half, imo. i've always thought that basses that were wider at the horns tended to look unbalanced.

also, i dig the pea-green soup color :p

11. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The layout of the tunings posts is not too good, imho.

With the A & D string posts being further out like that, the A & D strings will be up against the posts for the E & G strings.
    Personally, I've always thought that the strings should be in a straight line from the tuning posts to the bridge, going straight through the nut rather than coming off the nut at an angle.

12. Based on your suggestions, I've moddified the design.

[​IMG]

13. Here is a more accurate representation of how the headstock will look.

The A and D strings are still a bit further out, but I don't think they will touch the E and G strings. It'll be close, though.

[​IMG]