Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible CXL-112 volume problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seanm, Feb 19, 2005.

1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have an iAMP 500 and a CXL-112. At practice I usually play with the gain at 3:00 and the volume at 1:00 to 1:30. EQ flat (sometimes some mid boost but not this time). P bass with the volume and tone wide open.

I saw a post where Tombowlus mentioned that the deep switch seemed to be designed for the CXL-112, so I tried it. Well the sound started farting on the low notes, so I switched it off. Still got farting on the low notes. Neither the overdrive nor the clip leds came on.

Now I am not blaming the deep switch. I almost never noddle between songs and if I do I play quietly (concert/stage band background). The farting is not noticable when the band is playing, so this has probably been happening all along :eek:

For those who know this setup, has the amp run out of headroom, or do I need more speakers?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the really scientific way to determine that would be to hook the i-amp up to a more powerful poweramp and use it with the same speaker to see what happens. if you can get louder without "farting" then you were clipping the i-amp, if not, the cabinet was being pushed past its limits. without that kind of test it's hard to say. Sometimes speaker overescursion and power amp clipping sound remarkably similar.

but anyhow, i'm not familiar with the stuff in question. tom?

3. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    My problem is that I cannot try it at home. My basement is too small and too much stuff starts vibrating (like all the duct work and windows).

But I tried it anyway, and it sounds more like a crackle. I am sure it sounded more like a "fart" at band practice. Could the room matter? Band practice is in a basement, but the previous owner spent a lot of $$$ building a home theater setup. It even had two tiers of seating.

I can test it again at monday nights jam. It there anything in particular I can listen for given I cannot change the equipment?

I can rent another amp or cab, but the amp will probably be a GK RB800 which is not as powerful as the iAMP.

4. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    bump for the new week

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Geeze, I hope that I did not encourage you to do anything to damage your gear! :eek: All I can say is that with my CxL-112 and my iAMP 800, kicking on the Deep switch really fills out the low end and sounds great. I didn't crank it as loud as it would go with the Deep switch enabled, but I had it pretty darn stinking loud, and it all sounded great. You may have a damaged driver on your hands... :(

6. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No, I knew the risks. It says in the manual not to use the deep switch at high volumes.

It is fine at lower volumes, even fairly loud. If the driver was damaged, wouldn't I notice it all the time?

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Maybe, and maybe not. You should contact John Dong and describe your situation to him. He is one of the most helpful (and impressive!) people on the planet...

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I have an iAMP 500 and a CXL-112. At practice I usually play with the gain at 3:00 and the volume at 1:00 to 1:30. EQ flat (sometimes some mid boost but not this time). P bass with the volume and tone wide open.

Hold it right there...do you mean the left knob (says "level" on my iAmp 800) at 3 o'clock? Are you dead sure you're not clipping the input? I've never been able to set that control much above 12 o'clock with any bass I've tried. Try reversing your settings (level at 1:00, main at 3:00) and see if the problem goes away. I've heard some really nasty sounds when the preamp clips, especially if the bass response is boosted. I had an iAmp 350 before the 800, it did the same thing. Once I backed off the "level" control, no worries.

Disclaimer: I don't own any passive basses, but I have plugged a few into my iAmp at jams. BTW, I have a CxL-112 myself, and farting is not something I've heard at all from it, at the levels I typically play at.

9. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yup, it is the level knob on the left. I am used to calling it gain.

I can crank the level wide open without the overload led coming on. Note I only play fingerstyle: no pick, no slap. The iAMP 500 does not have the level leds like the 800 does. The only time I ever get the overload led on is with an effects pedal. I only keep the gain at 3:00 because leaving it wide open worries me :D

Am I dead sure? No, I have always had a sneaky suspicion that the overload led is not working properly. So I will try your suggestion.

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Sean,

Just sharing my experieces to help you trouble shoot your situation. The previous posts certainly provide helpful info as well.

I ran an iAMP 800 into a single CXL 1-12L for smaller lounge gig situations and for the most part the rig handled itself with no problems. I ran it with the pre at one o'clock and master at less than 11 o'clock, Deep Switch out, and a slight boost in the bass (less than 5 dbs) and treble. I could tell that the speaker was very close to bottoming out when the band got louder at the end of the night. I even heard it fart a few times when I dug in on certain notes. I believe that what I had experienced was the upper physical limits of the cab. As great as the EA cabs are, the cones have their physical limits of excursion like any cab, and this may be what you're hearing if you're really pushing it. :meh:

11. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Try cutting back on the left hand control (input volume), say to about 12 or less, and adjust the right hand master volume to the sound level you want. Run the EQ completely flat, no deep switch engaged. NOW, if you're getting crackling/farting, something could very well be wrong with the speaker and/or cabinet.

12. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    For anybody following this thread, last nights jam was cancelled due to weather (risk of freezing rain and generally ucky conditions). I will have to wait till thursday, weather permitting. I am planning on renting a 2x10 cab to try with it.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Beware, if you rent an EA NL-210 to try with it! They sound fantastic together!

14. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Not a hope :( It will probably be Yorkville or maybe GK.

15. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ok, so I rented an SWR Goliath Junior III. What a difference! The band played tighter and with more energy than ever before :bassist:

The guitar player and the drummer kept raving about the sound. I usually run some sound through the PA, but didn't bother tonight. I didn't mess around with the setup much, I didn't want to ruin the mojo :D

So it looks like I have been "undercabed" all along.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I think that the CxL-112 pairs up really well with a 2x10. It sounds best with the NL-210, IMHO (the full low-mids and slightly warmer tone of the NL-210 just locks in with the deeper response and enhanced clarity of the CxL-112). The CxL-210 is also a great match (though it weighs about twice as much as the NL-210).