Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible eBay scam - your KS, godoze?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geshel, Dec 25, 2002.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I noticed this Ken Smith BSR6MW on Ebay, looked a lot like the one TB member godoze just sold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=932432442

I found godoze's auction (he sold the bass to a guy in Korea, if I recall correctly?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=930782294

The pictures on the new auction are different (and, though it's hard to tell, I'd say they are of a different bass), but the text is almost word-for-word the same! Barf. I thought maybe it's the buyer re-selling under a different name, but the auction says he's the original owner.

Anyway. . .could be totally legit. It just sets off warning bells that this guy cut-and-pasted godoze's original auction text.

2. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    that auction is BS.

Take a look at the lower righthand corner where he has a Dec 24 2002 datestamp. Look how friggin fake and obviously photoshopped it is, plus I'd expect a time on it too.

Also, any user that asks for check or money order should automatically be dismissed, unless it's someone trustworthy like adrian g or some other tb vet, otherwise, I wouldn't even bother. And with only 10 other sales to vouch for him? Bleh. Somebody do something about this, I doubt the bidder is serious too.

This is why I don't have an ebay account.

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hold on boys. I don't know if this auction is BS or not, but there is a weird utility in the "MGI Photosuite" on my computer that will put the (current) date on a photo as you are resizing it. It looks exactly like his.

4. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    When you're lost for words...
    When someone says exactly what you're thinking...
    When someone else says it better...

I wouldn't post word for word, but I'll borrow a quote or two.

5. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I turned the date option on my camera on and took this photo this morning. Date looks like the pics on ebay.

[​IMG]

6. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    It looks like two different basses to me....

Godoze's sold one has a alder/ash core?

The other seems solid

but my eye's like to play tricks on me.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You're right, this one looks like it has solid walnut wings (godoze's had maple wings, like the text describes). I asked him if it really has maple wings, and some other questions.

As for the date stamp, I noticed that too - it's identical on all the pictures (flip back and forth between them). But, if it's a digital camera, I could see that as it'd just be digitally pasting the same image on each time.

8. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    It is suspicious that he copied him verbatum, but it could be just he was too lazy to come up with a description of his own. But when plunking down any ammount of money (especially a good ammount for a boutique bass) over the internet, you gotta sometimes think worst-case scenario.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    THIS is the reason why it's cool to have builders members.

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I had a Mackie mixing board on eBay. Two days after my auction started, another auction started for an identical (model) board. Nothing that strange except he pasted much of my description and, although he had several others, his biggest pic (the whole board "money shot") was mine :confused: .

Since this seemed suspicious I emailed the high bidders and let them know what he had done so as to be careful.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I sent the seller the following email:

This is the entirety of the reply:

Indeed. I wouldn't touch this sucker.

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    P.S. Thanks for the info Ken!

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    No, that's not my bass. But that guy "astroman" contacted me several times about mine, and he did nearly steal my copy verbatim, uppercase "PERFECT" and everything.

That bass is definitely not a 6MW - looks higher end.

My 6MW is going to South Korea as we speak. I am going up the street next week to talk to Ken about a fretless...

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It's back up again, after not having reached the reserve. I asked the guy why he took the other (wrong) description from godoze's auction.

15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    and his answer ?

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Nothing yet.

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Still never heard from the seller.

Somebody used Buy It Now - I emailed the buyer about this.

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i emailed the seller yesterday asking for clarification on the construction of the body wings and his repsonse is as follows:

"sorry body wing solid.":rolleyes: