1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Possible Fender Jazz mod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbiscuti, Feb 25, 2008.

1. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    I've just assembled a Jazz from various parts (MIM body and electronics, refinished Sonic Blue by Mike Dolan, old MIJ neck with 70's headstock logo). I'm loving the tone, but I had a really hard time playing a gig with it, mostly because i'm so used to playing Rickenbackers. I can't stand the fact that there's no master volume, and the whole "pickup blending" thing, even though I know it's part of what makes a Jazz a Jazz.

What I would be best for me would be having it wired with a three-way switch, a master volume, and a master tone, rather than V-V-T.

Has anyone ever went with a switch on their Jazz? Any thoughts on this type of mod? Is it sacrilige? :bag:

2. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Tony Franklin has this on his sig. P Bass. it's not a bad way to do it if that's what you're used to.
    i'm a Jazz guy, never got into Rics so i can move and groove with the V/V/T no problem. in fact, if i got the Tony Franklin P, i'd convert the controls to V/V/T.

all that means is, do what you want. it's your bass.
    if it were mine, and i were to do that... i'd have it V/T/switch.

but first.... play with it a bit. you'll find many subtle flavours of tone to be had with the V/V/T controls. myself, i run with the neck pup full on and the bridge and tone control down to about 70. it's great. play with it, see what you can see. you may come to like that control layout.

3. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
  4. No worries. I almost got that too but I love the VVT too much :D

Each to their own eh? :)

5. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI

New Sig.

V/V/T? Ewww. Gimme V/B/T. :D

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    With a little practice, can't you turn them both at the same time? :p

7. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    But how would you blend the pickups that way? :)

8. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Volume Blend Tone on most of my basses.. I am not a fan of volume/volume

but then again im so smitten with the sound of both pickups on I hardly move from that tone anyways :)

9. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    The 5 way rotary switch sounds like a cool option. Here's another possibility, though it might be harder to route. Fender made these in the late 80's-early 90's. Essentially a bass with strat wiring, master volume, master tone, 5 way switch = lots of tonal variety.