1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Possible First Time Vintage Buyer - Pre-CBS Project?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joker820, Mar 18, 2018.

1. joker820

joker820 Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2014
    So as usual GAS has struck again. I have my eye on a 62 P Bass with a Laminated Fingerboard. The pots, pickguard, and finish are non-original. That is actually okay with me because I wouldn't feel bad about getting it refinished and putting a Mint Spitfire guard on it. As with any old instrument, it will also probably need a re-fret sooner than later. They are asking over $4,000.00 for it which seems a bit high to me as you can get an all original 65 or 66 for about 3k. Obviously, I'm not looking to get rich on this. More just something to play, enjoy, and hopefully cure my GAS. I know someone on here just bought an all original 62 for $3,500.00 so I am thinking this should be a good starting point. The only issue is, Reverb and other websites have refinished Pre-CBS basses for 6-8k which is likely driving the price up. What do you guys think would be a fair price for something of this nature? I know this is basically a long winded "what's it worth" post but I like to give as much information as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    3500 is a rarity. And because the guy had to go pick it up in person.
    Doesnt mean all original 62's are all going going ro be priced that way...they won't, they're typically over double that.

ajkula66 and joker820 like this.
  3. joker820

Jan 20, 2014
    You’re probably right. I’m going to see if I can negotiate a bit.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Remind the seller there is a BIG difference between a price listed and sold.

joker820 likes this.
  5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Whos selling all original 65’s and 66’s for 3k?

Caca de Kick and joker820 like this.
  6. joker820

Jan 20, 2014
    Original in everything but the finish is what I should’ve said. Now that you mention it they’re closer to 4000.

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Yea. Agreed thought you meant all original. If you like the neck, go for it. Its all about how it feels

ajkula66 and joker820 like this.