Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible fretless project:

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Aaron Saunders, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I was toying around with thoughts of fret levelling/fret-removal/refrets, and came up with project.

About 10 or 11 months ago, long before I got my fretless, I was considering the possbility of buying a cheapie and defretting it. I found a Squier Affinity body at a local store with a CRAZY warped neck, so I went shopping for necks. Didn't find anything cheaper than a Warmoth. Big sigh. Fast forward to now. I'm now familiar with Rondo, and that they sell necks for pretty reasonable prices. I'm now very seriously considering getting that body from the store, a Rondo neck, some tuners, and a nut blank. I have a P pickup, the wires and pots, and bridge from back when I upgraded my fretted.
    When I have those components, I want to defret the neck, sand it down to a nearly flat fb radius, and then do an inlay design as such:
    Small dots (the size of the inlays on the side of the board) at the bass side on front of the fretboard where the fretline would be. Then, a line that starts at the treble side and extends to almost touch the dot. These will go for the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, etc. frets.
    Larger dots (regular size dot inlay perchance) in the same position, with a fretline about half as long, beneath the D and the G. 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, etc.
    For the dots, I'd drill a VERY shallow hole in the fretboard. Very, very, very shallow. Then I'd put in MOP dots from that site that sells adhesive dots in MOP, abalone, etc. so that they're flush with the fretboard. Then, this is a possibility (cost permitting, of course), but I'd use MOP from the blanks that the same site sells for the lines. Probably just white woodfiller. And over it all, some epoxy or that boat...stuff. You know. Stuff. I'll eventually put in a better pickup, but that's in the future (maybe a Nordstrand...mmm, Nordstrand).

Any thoughts, suggestions on the design? I have a photoshop of my fretless at the moment with the design roughly done on it.

EDIT: *sigh* I just checked Rondo's site, and apparently they already have inlayed dots in the fretboards. Damn. Just the line thing then.