Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible Musical Broadening?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tufnuts, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Hi all,

With the recent possible disforming of my current gig, I've been thinking about what next?

Here's the situation. I have 3 other friends. 1 is my current guitarist, the other two belong in another band. Rhythm guitar/Vocals, and bassplayer. Then there's me, another bassist. I see this as a possible opportunity to try something else on top of it all. Most obviously drumming, next would be keys. I've barely fiddled around with either. I feel that I've reached a level of competency w/ bassplaying that I can play/create the kind of music that I'm down with. I've recieved enough compliments that I'm happy with my playing.

But I just wonder what next. Don't know how long it will take to find another gig. I'd rather keep playing w/ the guitarist I have now, and it took about 1 1/2 years to find/start another gig. Been doing this one about 1 1/2 years now. Just frustrated/upset with the situation that I'm ready to shift paradigms and try something else.

Or this is just an open rant. I'm happy to get out of this situation w/ the singer (27, no job, no car, liar, lazy, stinky). I'm just wondering if trying another instrument would be worth my time. I keep thinking about drumming from messing w/ my drummer's kit during downtimes. I finally got my feet/arms to sync up when needed to. I guess I'll check into lessons for starting, check prices for practice kits etc.

Anyone ever felt this way also? Wanted to expand out a little more due to some other circumstance? I'm not trying to become a great musician, but I would like to be more rounded.