Possible Musical Broadening?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tufnuts, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Hi all,

With the recent possible disforming of my current gig, I've been thinking about what next?

Here's the situation. I have 3 other friends. 1 is my current guitarist, the other two belong in another band. Rhythm guitar/Vocals, and bassplayer. Then there's me, another bassist. I see this as a possible opportunity to try something else on top of it all. Most obviously drumming, next would be keys. I've barely fiddled around with either. I feel that I've reached a level of competency w/ bassplaying that I can play/create the kind of music that I'm down with. I've recieved enough compliments that I'm happy with my playing.

But I just wonder what next. Don't know how long it will take to find another gig. I'd rather keep playing w/ the guitarist I have now, and it took about 1 1/2 years to find/start another gig. Been doing this one about 1 1/2 years now. Just frustrated/upset with the situation that I'm ready to shift paradigms and try something else.

Or this is just an open rant. I'm happy to get out of this situation w/ the singer (27, no job, no car, liar, lazy, stinky). I'm just wondering if trying another instrument would be worth my time. I keep thinking about drumming from messing w/ my drummer's kit during downtimes. I finally got my feet/arms to sync up when needed to. I guess I'll check into lessons for starting, check prices for practice kits etc.

Anyone ever felt this way also? Wanted to expand out a little more due to some other circumstance? I'm not trying to become a great musician, but I would like to be more rounded.