possible neck pocket problem..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by patrickj, Jul 31, 2003.

1. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I did the initial routing/cleaning of the neck pocket for a 5string I'm working on. When I sawed the body I accidently cut straight through a 'lip' I had intentionally left that would provide another 1.5 inches of pocket depth. If you've ever seen the back of an Ibanez BTB body/neck pocket you will know what I mean.

The pocket is ~ 3.25" - 3.5" deep. The scale length is ~ 34". The body is poplar (which feels a tad soft), neck is mahogany. I also have a 1/4" layer of mahogany laminated underneath/below the poplar.

Is this going to be a problem when the strings/tension is applied to the neck joint? In addition to bolting on, should I also glue in the neck (a la a set-neck) to ensure that the bolts don't tear out?

2. i'm not as experienced as most of the other instrument makers on the board. but, with that being said, i don't think you'll have much to worry about. on the bass that i made, i had a very shallow neck pocket on it, possibly even less than the one you have to work with. i think you have more than enough contact surface to keep it in place. i used titebond glue on my bass, and it feels extremely solid, i've never once worried about it coming apart. if you're not planning on taking the neck off at any point, then you can certainly add glue along with the bolts for extra strength.