Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

possible new bassist, questions first

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ducati151, May 4, 2004.

1. ducati151

ducati151

May 4, 2004
    Alrighty, heres the scoop. Im deciding whether to buy a guitar or bass. Can you play bass solo for an extended period of time? I don't know how early I could get into a band(could be a long time, maybe right away, who knows), and I wouldn't want to end up stopping because i wouldnt be in the mood ever to play by myself. I'm saying that just because bass is more of a group type instrument from what I know(more than likely wrong, lol).

Also, if I do decide to play bass, would the squire P-bass special be a good first purpose? I read that the neck is a lot better with the J, and my hands aren't the largest. Would that guitar work good with most types of music? I'd play mostly rock, but not metal or heavy rock.

Thanks ahead of time.

2. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    You can solo as long as you want in any situation... if your bandmates let ya!

I would suggest grabbing something off of www.rondomusic.com

I have a friend who owns a fender 5 SX jazz, and it sounds just dandy.

3. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    You can solo as long as you want in any situation... if your bandmates let ya!

I would suggest grabbing something off of www.rondomusic.com

I have a friend who owns a fender 5 SX jazz, and it sounds just dandy.

4. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    A lot of very talented, influential bassists will often take solos that can stretch to 10 minutes long on occasion. Most of that stuff is hard though, hard as in there are seasoned veterans who have been playing for ten years on this board that can't play some of those tunes. Its definately doable, though, but it takes practice to make it not sound like a bunch of rumbling notes. I'm sure there is easier stuff out there that I'm not familiar with, though.

The Squire is a decent instrument if you hate yourself. The SX basses on Rondo's site are overall far superior. They have P basses that have better tonewoods, pickups, necks, tuners, bridges, neck attachments, and will last longer that most Squires. Cheap, too, for the price of a new Squire in Musician's Friend you can get at least one SX and possibly two. I would recommend getting an SX and then a fairly nice amp.

You shouldn't have to worry about being solo for too long. Generally, bass players are a prized commodity, so you should be able to find a band without having to try too hard. Once you feel comfortable playing alone, look for a band. Things should fall into place then.

And good luck!

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    You may be asking the wrong group of guys here. :D We're all going to tell you how great the bass is and to get on board. ;)

6. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    As said we are all bassists here. I will say I played the guitar for 20 plus years before finding the bass.

Now that said. I think a bass player should understand how to lay the bottom under the music. That is some times boring. Some times also quite hard. Soloing is something usually left to accomplished bassists.

There are many good bass lines to study that can make you a bassist. If you want to play lead then I would suggest the guitar. Once you have played with a band you will see what the bass player does and go from there.

Better yet listen to the music you choose to play and see how the bass player's part fits your plans.

tk

7. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Just seen you location. PM where the farm is in Kansas. I may have a bass for you if you give me time to refret it. I don't personally think the rondo bass is a bit better than the squier. I think they are birds of a feather some good some bad.

The SX P bass I have the frets was horrible on. The rest is sweet. I am going to refret it and give it to a worthy want to be bass player.

tk

8. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    My bad. Think my metronome is off a couple clicks. I see the original poster isn't from Kansas. Offer stands for a close bass player on the SX.

tk

9. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Maybe rent a bass for a month and then a guitar for a month... I wish I would've.

I played the guitar for a little while then decided I didn't like it. Later, undiscouraged, I gave the bass a shot and really liked it.

When I started, the bass and guitar looked pretty much the same. Both guitars right? There's a world of difference in the steel under the fingers, the neck in the hand, and the feel of the sound.

10. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    If you want to be a soloist get a guitar. If you want to be person who is the glue holds the band together and makes people want to get up and dance, get a bass.

11. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    judging by the context of the post, i think ducati151 meant by 'solo' of playing the bass by himself, like in the living room or something.

:bag:

12. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    Bass is way better! Plus its easier to get gigs being a bass player there are too many guitar players out there anyway. As for a first bass. I would spend the extra few bucks and just get a made in mexico J bass or P bass. Probably a P bass. You can find excellent deals on them at guitar center or whatever.

13. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Imasock is right - the guy didn't really mean "anaesthesia" when he said solo, he was talking about holding his interest when woodshedding at home. I can say that to me, the bass is far better for playing alone at home, but here's why: With a guitar I tended to always play the songs I knew and nothing else. With bass, when I'm jamming alone I'll play stuff I know, try to play stuff I don't know, and just noodle around making stuff up on the spot. IMHO it's because a bad bassline sounds better than a bad guitar riff, when all doesn't go so well. =0)

I keep at least one guitar on hand for playing with friends, or writing tunes, or whatever, but the bass I just have so much more fun playing, that's why I chose bass over guitar after playing both for a number of years.

14. playing in a band makes every instrument more fun and more fulfilling to play. but you can play bass alone in order to learn it just as easily as guitar. you just can't whip it out at a party and have a bunch of girls line up to watch you play. ;)

but there are a ton of great basslines to learn out there that are really melodic and fun. i suggest learning from a teacher or a book how to play, and then try playing along with your favorite CDs. it's very difficult at first, but it's a really incredible feeling to play with one of the CDs that inspired you to learn bass in the first place.

robb.

15. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    That's the way I read it too....

You can play bass solo all of your life if you want to....

DD

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I merged the two threads - they were identical. Also, since this is more of a general bass-playing question, I'm moving it to Misc.

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, if you want the fastest way into a band, pick up a bass.

As bass isn't as sexy instrument in the eyes of wannabe rockstars, there always are some open spots for four string bangers.

I would also say that playing bass, you get better a understanding in what a band does with each other, musically that is. It isn't a coincidence many band leaders happen to be bass players.

18. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    But people wont get my joke, damn you you allmighty dollar:mad: :spit: :bawl:

19. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    i spend most if not all my time playing alone. Sometimes i have my frined come over with his sampler and make up drum beats on that thing and i follow along, it's good practice. I will start to look for a band/start a band whenever i feel i am ready.....which will be a while.

I occasionally jam with real drummers and guitarists...i think i can hold my ground pretty good and probbaly could be a part of a band, but in my own opinion i don't think i'm ready.

20. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL